Is thrash making a huge comeback?

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
So I've been reading the Exodus interview in the new Terrorizer. It sounds like the new album is going to really kick ass. Machine Head is supposedly back to "kick ass thrash" mode. 2004 could be a year of some great thrash.

I expect Mastodon to release a new one late this year (hopefully). Technically they are a thrash band. Lamb of God released an excellent CD last year . . . and it they actually thrash as well. Shadows Fall has changed into pretty much a thrash band.

What's the deal? I think the generation that grew up on Metallica and Slayer is finally starting to take control of the music world.

Anyway, does anybody know of any other great thrash albums set for 2004?

npearce said:
Anyway, does anybody know of any other great thrash albums set for 2004?
The Lethal thrash metal attack demo tape.

(That, and the new Testament album... which is not nearly as important)

Mastodon isn't exactly old-school thrash, but they are one of the groups that are using the basic aggression and riffing style of thrash in a slightly different manner. They use a lot of different styles, but I think thrash is definitely one of them.

i sure hope so!!!!
i love thrash metal, i grew up on thrash, and i hope its coming !
(although, it never really left...)

check out a band name: Thrawn.
its the ex-drummer/song writer of THeory In Practice and Mutant
Henrik Ohlsson from Sweden.
they play GREAT american style thrash metal, and they will record in February their first album!

Don't forget the regrouping of Death and Dark Angel too!

I've been listening to a lot of thrash lately - some Overkill, Kreator, and Destruction. There's just something in the water these days...

I surely hope so.

Annihilator is releasing All For You in May/April. Jeff Waters claims it to be the best album since Never Neverland. I certainly hope so! Maybe this will be the best Thrash year in years.

Plus has anyone noticed that a lot of the Melodolic Death Metal, is heavely influnced by old Thrash/Metal bands like Megadeth. For example Arch Enemy, COB and others.
http://www.annihilatormetal.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=download&id=830

Weapon X said:
Plus has anyone noticed that a lot of the Melodolic Death Metal, is heavely influnced by old Thrash/Metal bands like Megadeth. For example Arch Enemy, COB and others.
Yes, well, what are they but melodic, modern thrash mixed with screechy vocals and power metal melodicism? I've always upheld that the Gothenburg bands have far more roots in thrash than death metal.

Erik said:
I've always upheld that the Gothenburg bands have far more roots in thrash than death metal.
Absolutley, but then I didn't even realize that anyone could debate that. Slap death vocals on top of any music and instantly becomes 'death metal'. Pfft, I say. Pfft!

And Arch Enemy have to stop going on about Slayer as their biggest influence, when instead they should be paying Dave Mustaine and Jeff Waters royalties.

Oh... Isn't the new Hypocrisy like the previous one..?

DAH-DAH-DAH
DAH-DAH-DAH-DAH-DAH-*SQUEEL*
DAH-DAH-DAH
DAH-DAH-DON'T JUDGE ME! I'VE HAD ENOUGH! FUCK YOU!!!!!!!! YOURE SO DUMB NOONE UNDERSTANDS ME
YO YO MC P T IN THA HOUSE, MY PARENTS R SO DUMB THEY PUT ME UNDER CURFEW
WAAH
DAH-DAH-CRUSH!

frankly, I have low expectations for Machine Head, Annihilator, and Exodus, but I could be pleasantly surprised, who knows. Flynn has claimed that each album since Burn My Eyes is going to be crushing or whatever, but each one has sucked worse than the previous. Annihilator could make a comeback; I actually really dug Carnival Diablos, but their last one was pure shite. I never cared much for early Exodus; in fact, Impact Is Imminent is the only one I listened to very much. The new one is supposed to be more like their early stuff, so I'm not too hopeful.