So Opeth17, educate us...

Opeth17 said:
Also, J. brings up a good point. Its not that I don't listen to clean vocals at all, when they are done right I can enjoy them. Just be relaxed about it, like the guy from Winds or have a good, solid voice like Simen Hestnaes.
Fair enough - so this goes to being subjective again, which is absolutely fair. Thing is, you do realize that power metal vocals only make up a fraction of metal music that's been on the scene in its entirety since 1970 (circa).

I wanted to know your age because I wanted to make some sense of it, but people like Erik, BWD, and Ayeka, who are all roughly your age, put the hours in to sift through hours upon hours of music to distinguish between what they like and what they don't like.

Just my two cents, but chances are, you might find something really interesing that isn't death metal, and isn't power metal either. You just need to explore a bit, but you're 17 and somewhat new to the scene - you have plenty of time to do so. You're on an exciting path, if you allow yourself to widen the horizon a bit.

JayKeeley said:
put the hours in to sift through hours upon hours of music to distinguish between what they like and what they don't like.

As do I, right now I'm drowning in good music and I can hardly find the time to listen to half of it. I've not the money or the time to keep up with all the great bands I'm finding. It is as simple as this: Just because I'm not exploring 70s prog or 80s Heavy Metal, doesn't mean I'm not exploring great music. I don't see the difference between finding great music in the metal underground and finding great music from 70s Britain. I simply don't see the point in looking outside of genres I've already acquainted myself with and have yet to find 1/4 of the great stuff from to go off on some back tracking mission. I grew up listening to Credence, Lynyrd Skynrd, Cream and various other Classic/Southern Rock bands and hell I've even listened to a lot of country. There is a difference between having broad horizons and listening to crap you don't like or looking for things you don't need.

IofTheStorm: Congratulations for being the 9235729502759257250252705205207559025760525724602457260257310562375301267262049672607826024670697402760125713052750123571550572050 person to make a retarded comment about In Flames that has NO relevance to ANYTHING within the discussion and for also failing to realize it was sort of a part of progression of bands ending with Arghoslent and Anata who are both infinitely better then anything I've ever heard you mention. Good day.

Heh heh... this thread could get funny.

Personally, I love me a good singer. But only if it fits the music. Same thing with extreme vocals. Could anyone actually imagine Darkthrone with clean vocals?

BTW, IoftheStorm has excellent taste in music (even though he doesn't know that funeral doom is doom :) ). If I were him, I would hardly feel insulted by someone who discovered Anata and Arghoslent a few weeks ago.

Oh... I kid! I kid! ;) :p

Opeth17 = perfect example of someone listening to better music due to the forum. Me too. Hell, probably most of us here...

IofTheStorm: Congratulations for being the 92357295027592572502527052052075590257605257246024 57260257310562375301267262049672607826024670697402 760125713052750123571550572050 person to make a retarded comment about In Flames that has NO relevance to ANYTHING within the discussion and for also failing to realize it was sort of a part of progression of bands ending with Arghoslent and Anata who are both infinitely better then anything I've ever heard you mention. Good day.
mouse.gif

Black Winter Day said:
If I were him, I would hardly feel insulted by someone who discovered Anata and Arghoslent a few weeks ago.

whocares1.jpg

:tickled: Because we all know they were much worse bands before I started to listen to them and guide them on their way. :p

(more then anything I just wanted to use that image, post more of these for future reference) :D

JayKeeley said:
If done 'correctly'? So what is correct then? Death growls or blackened screams weren't used in the 70's and *mostly* 80s, so you've practically just written off 2 entire decades of music. So since you got into metal 12 years ago, where exactly have you focused on anything pre-1992 out of interest?
Well, "correctly" is subjective, yeah. Like I said, Alan from Primordial is a prime example of how to do it right. I also think Devin Townsend is a fine example, though I know some of you will disagree.

Pre '92. A lot, so I won't be able to name all of them : Black Sab, Led Zep, Metallica, Megadeth, Prong, Pantera, Bathory, Biohazard, Sodom, Sacred Reich, Bolt Thrower, Burzum, Carcass, King Crimson, Marillion, Genesis, Rush, Cathedral, Clutch, Neurosis, Edge of Sanity, Fudge Tunnel, Kyuss, and probably countless core bands. And that's just scratching the surface.

It's not that I ignore the 70's or 80's. I just find more that interests me or at least sounds interesting coming from the 90's.

"Want do you want for breakfast, Opeth17?"
"CORN CHEX REARRRARRORORORO!!!!!!!!111"

This reminds me of the dialogue at the end of Punky Bruster - EZ$$ (A Devin Townsend Project) :lol:

"SHOULD WE MAKE OUR VOCALS A BIT HIIIIIIIIIGHHHERERERRARR? WOULD THAT BE MORE COMMERCIALLY VIABLEEERERREREEE?"

NAD said:
When I think of great vocalists, most of the time they do exclusively clean vocals. That doesn't mean I don't love shrieks and growls though.
Agree 100%. There are those that do Death vocals better than others. Stanne and Akerfeldt come immediately to mind. However, I don't really stop to consider these guys when I think about vocalists like Tate, Allen, Lande, John K., Dickenson, Dio, etc.

Zod

I'm rarely bothered by the presence of clean vocals. If they are executed well and fit with the music nicely then i haven't got much to complain. However though, i prefer non-clean vocals on the contrary.

Moral of the story?

If you like growls better than clean vocals, hey, no problem.

If you like clean vocals as much or better than growls, again, no problem.

Why? BECAUSE IT'S A MATTER OF FUCKING TASTE!!!!!!!!!

It's ALL subjective. Opeth17, it was your choice of phrases that generalized clean vocals as something that isn't just unappealing to you you, but shouldn't be appealing to anyone, which is just wrong. It's condescending and bound to ruffle some defensive feathers, that's all.

You can go about continuing to think that growls rule all. Your opinion is right......... for you, and you alone.

I prefer clean vocals and there are very few growlers I'd rank among my favorite singers, but as many have stated it's all a question of context, some vocalists can express just as much emotion with a well-placed bloodcurdling scream as with a conventional vocal melody...

Black Winter Day said:
Could anyone actually imagine Darkthrone with clean vocals?
Yes. Goatlord. And its incredibly creepy at times.

-I knew what you meant though, I just had to ruin your point with correctness. How about hearing Falsetto vocals on a Xasthur album.o_O

hehe, add Forefather to the list of good clean vocalists. Every time I listen to this band, I like them more and more. Their new is quite good. I love the early stuff. How can you not like this JayK? At times, it's almost like power black metal. :tickled: