Where is the death metal in 2004?

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Where is the Mithras? Rudra? Vital Remains? Has a DM release just blown you away this year that it should end up in the year end list?

What do we have from 2004?

Kataklysm
Vehemence
The Chasm
Grave
Arsis
Unleashed (is this death or viking?)
Amon Amarth
Deicide

I'm not sure if any of these qualify for a top 10 spot, although I've not heard The Chasm or Deicide....

There are two 'prog-death' albums from 2004 that have caught my attention: Into Eternity (excellent) and Lilitu (very good).

What seems to be *the* DM release this year?

The Chasm, easily.

I thought Arghoslent was releasing something this year, but maybe Jesse Jackson is picketing their studio.

Fate of Norns is OK, nothing special.

Off the top of my head, and in order of most impressive:

Capharnaum
The Amenta
Illogicist
In Battle
Malevolent Creation
Golem
Trauma

i do really like the VEHEMENCE release ...
and lets not forget the new SUFFOCATION !!!

Golem is pretty good, but not mind-melting good like Mithras et. al.

The Chasm, Arghoshit, Arsis, blah blah I get all those confused because it's just melodeth. I have a few of the CD-Rs that I will give a serious listen before year end, but first impressions of those didn't entice me. At all.

More than that. :tickled:

I'm fixin' to go crazy style by pounding out 10 reviews in one week, it'll happen soon.

Death metal is, in my opinion, the most interesting metal genre nowadays. There have been SEVERAL killer releases the last couple of years, everything from classic kickass death metal from bands such as Suffocation, deathgrind acts such as Cattle Decapitation, to INTENSELY brutal DM onslaughts from Inveracity, Stabwound, Sepsism, Brodequin, etc.

Some exciting releases from 2003 and 2004:

Aborted - Goremageddon
Aeternus - A Darker Monument
Behemoth - Demigod
Blood Red Throne - Affiliated With The Suffering
Cannibal Corpse - The Wretched Spawn
Cattle Decapitation - Humanure
Cephalectomy - Eclipsing The Dawn
Decapitated - The Negation (A tad dissappointing, but by all means a decent release)
Dying Fetus - Stop At Nothing
Gorerotted - Only Tools And Corpses
Incantation - Decimate Christendom
Insision - Revealed And Worshipped
Inveracity - Circle Of Perversion
Liturgy - Dawn Of Ash
Malevolent Creation - Warkult
Monstrosity - Rise To Power
Sepsism - To Prevail In Disgust
Skinless - From Sacrifice To Survival
Stabwound - Human Boundaries
Suffocation - Souls To Deny
Vader - The Beast
Visceral Bleeding - Transcend Into Ferocity
Wasteform - Ignorance Through Sovereignity

New Cryptopsy and Immolation will slay too, I'm sure.

Want to hear that Aborted release.

The Wretched Spawn will always remind me of The Wretched Beep. :loco:

Forgot all about the new Vader...still have only heard the 3 song sampler....not bad, but just didn't have the cutting edge that Revelations had...or so it seems...?

Henrik Main said:
Aeternus - A Darker Monument
I couldn't get into this one that much. Good yes, but when I hear it, I just yearn for the early stuff.

It seems people are confused about what melodic death metal truly is. For some reason, when people think "melodic" they immediately think "wussy metal" or "InFlames, Soilwork, Dark Tranquillity". Hell, most black metal is melodic, and no one seems to care.

Granted, there are two schools of melodic death metal. Arghoslent certainly belongs in the same school as Vehemence, early At the Gates, etc. The Chasm is quite different, though. Melodic, yes, but The Chasm is much more thrashy than most, and have hints of old Dissection (who was hardly "wussy").

meh, I'm ranting.....

JayKeeley said:
Want to hear that Aborted release.
Damn it rules. Read my review and go buy the fucker. :loco: Wait, who did that promo end up with? I passed it on to someone on the team, I don't remember who. Maybe Josh?

If the Behemoth album ends up being released this year it will definitely be near the top DM releases--it's a very, very good album.

One Inch Man said:
Damn it rules. Read my review and go buy the fucker. :loco: Wait, who did that promo end up with? I passed it on to someone on the team, I don't remember who. Maybe Josh?
No idea. You know, I just realized that I got this confused with Exhumed's Anatomy is Destiny....everyone raved about this one.

I still need to pick that up, or something else by those dudes. Holy crapfactory did they rule in concert.

I keep considering to check out Vader, but don't know where to start. I should do some homework I guess...