RC Madness - The Next Tournament Preparations

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Reference this list below for what NOT to suggest in the next 64 bands (if we ever decide to do this tournament run again - it's up to Zod I suppose :tickled: unless someone else wants to volunteer).

General Zod said:
Bracket 1:
Black Sabbath vs. Arcturus
Iron Maiden vs. Mar de Grises
Candlemass vs. Ulver
Hammers of Misfortune vs. Neurosis
Satyricon vs. Emperor
Helloween vs. Isis
Dark Tranquillity vs. Nile
Ayreon vs. Agalloch

Bracket 2:
Into Eternity vs. Moonsorrow
Burzum vs. Negura Bunget
Vader vs. Graveland
Primordial vs. Edge of Sanity
The Lord Weird Slough Feg vs. Akercocke
Dimmu Borgir vs. Meshuggah
Kataklysm vs. Wolverine
Iced Earth vs. My Dying Bride

Bracket 3:
Carcass vs. Novembers Doom
Finntroll vs. Blut Aus Nord
Novembre vs. Stratovarius
Amorphis vs. Decapitated
Enslaved vs. Megadeath
Blind Guardian vs. Anthrax
King Diamond/Merciful Fate vs. Orphaned Land
Drudkh vs. Anathema

Bracket 4:
Amon Amarth vs. Cradle of Filth
Opeth vs. The Chasm
Death vs. Angra
Judas Priest vs. Vital Remains
Bathory vs. Deicide
Immortal vs. Kayo Dot
At the Gates vs. Manowar
Mastodon vs. Nevermore

Please try not to pick a band that nobody has ever heard of (although I know this is going to be tough).

Here are 10 suggestions (in case you're doing a running total):

Bruce Dickinson
Slayer
Empyrium
Queensryche
Bolt Thrower
Nokturnal Mortum
Danzig
Kreator
Yngwie Malmsteen
Darkthrone

Aeternus
Arcane Sun (though this is probably not a good one to use)
Weakling
Void of Silence
Thyrfing
Summoning
Spiritual Beggars
Skepticism
Sigh
Scald
Pelican
Morrigan
Morgion
Mithras
Melechesh
Asphyx
Cathedral
Cruachan
Destroyer 666
Diabolical Masquerade
Dissection
Ensiferum
Esoteric
Evoken
Eucharist
Falkenbach
Godflesh
Hate Forest
Helheim
Hollenthon
Hypocrisy
In the Woods
Katatonia
Kyuss

there's a few

In addition:

Suffocation
Behemoth
Cannibal Corpse
Orphaned Land (they were unfairly disposed of last time)
Carpathian Forest
Moonspell
Marduk
Mayhem
Leviathan
Malevolent Creation
Insision
Lacuna Coil
Ensiferum
Edge of Sanity
Zyklon
Down
Deathspell Omega
Cryptopsy
Borknagar
Vintersorg
Bloodbath
Blood Red Throne
Asmegin
Arghoslent
Anata
Vital Remains
Vehemence
Type O Negative
Tiamat
Pestilence

General Zod said:
Some 80s bands:

Dream Theater
Dio
Ozzy
Mettalica

Agreed with the latter 3, but Dream Theater was much more of a 90's band than an 80's band. When Dream and Day Unite came out in 1989 I believe and Dream Theater really did not make a name for themselves until 1992's Images and Words.

General Zod said:
No interest in running another one so soon (too much work), but I'll be happy to vote.

Zod

Completely agreed. Spending some time setting it up would be fun, but after that I could see how tedious the task becomes.

metallica
tankard
overkill
sodom
kreator
destruction

various other thrash bands that seem to be disregarded cuz "thrash is dead" <--- fag that.

Dark One said:
Agreed with the latter 3, but Dream Theater was much more of a 90's band than an 80's band. When Dream and Day Unite came out in 1989 I believe and Dream Theater really did not make a name for themselves until 1992's Images and Words.
True. I guess I always think of DT as an 80s band, as they seem to always be talked about in the same breath as Queensryche (at least by Prog fans).

Dark One said:
Completely agreed. Spending some time setting it up would be fun, but after that I could see how tedious the task becomes.
It is, especially the 1st Round. I'll gladly run one each year, to coincide with March Madness.

Zod

On an another forum a friend of mine matched up something like 1500 albums against one another (during the first few rounds it was like one bracket of twenty matches per week...). Took us the most of a year to determine that "Reign in Blood" was number one, which could have been the fruit of a 1/100 second reflexion for the lot of the intervenants :p

Lots of fun, though...

Ellestin said:
On an another forum a friend of mine matched up something like 1500 albums against one another (during the first few rounds it was like one bracket of twenty matches per week...). Took us the most of a year to determine that "Reign in Blood" was number one, which could have been the fruit of a 1/100 second reflexion for the lot of the intervenants :p

Lots of fun, though...

That is awesome! :tickled:

Ride the lightining was 2nd , Opeth , Emperor and prolly Death were close , classic tastes ..

After having choosen in the latest addition of the March Madness thread, I think one should be able to refrain from voting if one hasn't heard any of the bands; my contribution felt kind of pointless this time around :]