Vote: Royal Carnage 2006 March Madness - Round 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I could explain my votes even if asked. It was a gut instinct for most of them, whatever that means. The only one I really had to put a lot of effort into was Ulver vs. Hammers of Misfortune. Both of those bands are unbelievably great at what they do, but operate in completely different ballparks. God damn impossible to choose in such a situation, as no clear > or < really worked.

Opeth17 said:
I like Drudkh a lot, I just feel they are thought of far too highly by far too many and don't compare to DsO's magic, but that is of course only my opinion.
The only thing magical about DsO, is how theygot their record contract. I'm assuming they cast some sort of spell on an A&R guy, because their music sounds like an off-key bout of explosive diarrhea.

Of course, that's only my opinion.:loco:

Zod

I think the best way to achieve an even-handed result in a competition (for me, anyway) is to put absolutely zero thought into a mechanism for deciding who to vote for and just going for it at the moment. Spontaneity works a lot of situations like that.

For example, on Tuesday I walked into class 5 minutes before it started and realized we had the final exam that day :erk: I guess that's a bit different though.

General Zod said:
The only thing magical about DsO, is how theygot their record contract. I'm assuming they cast some sort of spell on an A&R guy, because their music sounds like an off-key bout of explosive diarrhea.

Of course, that's only my opinion.:loco:

Zod

:lol:

yeah. Between Drudkh and DsO... it was a hard choice, but I think i listen to Drudkh more, i listen to DsO only in certain moods... and @Opeth17

In a lot of cases, metallica, sabbath and iron maiden are some of the firs tbands we heard. The major reasons why we got into heavy metal. A lot of people remember when this shit was new and innovative and totally rocked their fucking world. An effect like that is hard to overcome.

That said, every community will defend its favourite music, so stop insulting metalheads, I listen to other music too and they are just as retarded, if not worse.

And yes, I REALLY DO love metallica and iron maiden. But not sabbath so much. Not to mention, just because it's not new, doesn't mean its not amazing. You seem to be confusing "fresh" and "new" with always meaning "better songwriting/meaning". Just because its older and perhaps simpler doesn't mean there isn't any less talent at songwriting and less meaning to the music.

Conspicuously Absent said:
In a lot of cases, metallica, sabbath and iron maiden are some of the firs tbands we heard. The major reasons why we got into heavy metal. A lot of people remember when this shit was new and innovative and totally rocked their fucking world. An effect like that is hard to overcome.

this is exactly what sabbath and metallica are for me. first metal albums i owned:

1. black album
2. AJFA + MoP
3. black sabbath + paranoid + master of reality
4. blackwater park + deliverance

and from there it kinda spiralled out of control. the difference is, i can't really stomach much metallica anymore, while i took a big break from sabbath for a few years, got into exteme metal, got bored of it,went back to older stuff, and love it more and more!

Ellestin said:
That's absolutely fine but the way he puts it is beyond idiotic
(sup Zod :) )
LOL. Nice.

Demlich said:
Zod makes an interesting reminder too: not everyone around here thinks DsO is the epitome of modern extreme metal
They're one of those bands, that I just don't see what the fuss is about. But hey, to each his own.

Zod

Tallied the results thus far out of boredom.

Bracket #1
Obituary 11 vs. Judas Priest 25
Ulver 29 vs. Hammers of Misfortune 12
Metallica 33 vs. Blood Red Throne 5
Negura Bunget 24 vs. Anathema 15

Bracket #2
Falkenbach 18 vs. Amon Amarth 18
Melechesh 5 vs. Black Sabbath 32
Morbid Angel 16 vs. Carcass 21
Emperor 20 vs. Destroyer 666 20

Bracket #3
Moonsorrow 28 vs. Blut Aus Nord 8