Empyrium - Weiland

discouraged1

disco my arse!
May 24, 2001
Belgrade, Serbia
www.myspace.com
The eagerly awaited fourth Empyrium masterpiece is finally out. Weiland is following the path of Where at Night the Wood Grouse Plays(1999), abandoning the distortions and turning to acoustic-guitars-only, with added philharmonics and mellotrone painting a wider picture.
The artwork is beautiful, as we got used to Empyrium's releases(and Prophecy's in general) and this Nature-loving triple CD release brings to mind norwegian Ulver immediately. But, to clear this up (once and for all), comparings to Ulver's Kveldssanger are no longer acceptable - Empyrium have their own thing.
Nebel is one of the most convincing tracks of the classical guitar playing and its beautiful distinct sound I haven't heard on any other band's album yet, while Fortgang's alienated vocals(of Helm)is the highest point of the CD1, Heidestimmung.
CD2 consists of one single track named Waldpoesie, bringing all the instruments, including flute, bass, the drums, both Helm & Schwadorf on vocals and their dramatic performance. One part of it(8.11-10.49) reminiscences of In the Woods' Omnio and their use of violins and cellos at the time. It is certainly the most wonderful moment on Weiland.
Die Scwaene im Schilf is Empyrium at most intense; whispers, chants & black metal screams storm over the piano and the guitars before the calm violin lead in the end. The rest of Wassergeister(CD3) is mostly piano based and there is a hint of Tenhi depression in Am Wasserfall and Fossegrim, which is not a bad thing. Both bands share the similar melancholic aura when it comes to piano and the atmosphere.
All the lyrics are in german, which might sound frustrating at first to some, but the uniqueness of the whole art is exactly in them. The scent of the old Nature, untouched by today's dead, modern (self)destructive world. A story in german, about an ancient time, which could be no more. It's up to ourselves...
Weiland is beautiful, sad, wonderful, dark, a masterpiece.
If it is indeed a Empyrium swansong, you should be honoured to own such a legacy, a treasure such as this.

9.5/10

i agree on all counts , the outra too the 2nd cd is amazing. Great underrated band , great album. Even though i dont know german it still doesnt hinder the listening experience.

Edit- i didnt relize this is gonna be the last album , (even though it said swansong in ur post , i overlooked it)ill defintly keep informed about the projects of the band members , they claim on the offical website , that it will stay updated but we will see)

Originally posted by spikes77
Edit- i didnt relize this is gonna be the last album , (even though it said swansong in ur post , i overlooked it)ill defintly keep informed about the projects of the band members , they claim on the offical website , that it will stay updated but we will see)

There's a talk about Weiland being the last Empyrium ever. there was a debate about this on Prophecy forum some time ago, and we all agreed whatever Schwadorf decision is(will be), it will be the best for the band. I mean, he knows best if there should be another Empyrium release(if this world really needs it, I mean, deserves it).

In the Woods... is also a great band that's no more present today...Yet they left 4 masterpieces behind them.....Sounds familiar,eh?;)