emulating full analogue signal flow with plugins

pikachu69

mixomatic 2000
Jun 7, 2010
New Zealand
I know about plugins that do this (I own VCC and VTM) but I wanted to know the best way to achieve identical signal flow as if I was recording in a pure analogue setting.
I have never had the chance to record in a 'real' studio so I have not seen or heard the effects of analogue recording stage by stage so please humor me and my question/train of thought.

My thought process is this so far: (correct my mistakes please!)

I record through 2 x presonus studiolive 16:4:2 desks linked together.
I record dry. (no eq or comp)
The audio has now passed through the pres in the presonus and has been 'coloured' by its sound. (although they seem quite transparent)

Now after dry tracking do I:

Apply my first instance of VCC to emulate tracking through a different desk.
Apply VTM to emulate recording directly to tape.
Bouce audio to print plugins.

Before mixing:

Reload audio into DAW with emulation in place.
Apply second instance of VCC to emulate mixing through a different desk and mix from there with VTM on master buss to emulate final bouce to tape.

1) My first question with this is what I should/am able to monitor while mixing.
I thought in an analogue setup the effects (on audio) when recording to tape cant be heard until playback of the recordng, so why do we monitor our mixes with tape emulation on the channels/busses?

2) When appling insert fx, where in the chain should they go when you have channel strips and tape emulators running.
Lets say I have the following:

VCC on 4K setting
Waves SSL channel strip
1176 style comp any other insert eq/comp/etc

What is the correct order to stack these to emulate the flow of audio through a real SSL desk? Do you have to take into account where the insert point on a desk would send the audio?

VCC
1176 comp/eq/etc (as insert fx is taken pre eq)
SSL channel strip last
(for example)

3) When using groups/aux sends:
Do I apply VCC to these? If so channel or buss emulation?

4) Isn't it best to leave the tape emulation off the master buss while mixing or do you normally monitor 'through' a tape machine to hear the effects?
This is the one most confusing to me. It would seem most likely to me that you should mix without it and apply it last just before you mix down otherwise you a making decisions based on what the tape is doing which is not typical in a real analogue recording stuation. (or is it?)

I hope my questions are clear and reasonable.
Anyone that can shed some light would be doing me a great favour.

Cheers guys,

Nigel.

I can see your points about not hearing the effect of the tape until you playback in the real world, but personally I see this as a hindrance of working with the real thing rather than a benefit, so I would just get all your emulation applied when it comes to the mix.

Signal flow in a real world scenario would look like this:

CHANNEL
Preamp
Tape
Insert point (comp/gates)
Eq
Console

MASTER
Mix Buss
Inserts
Tape

But personally I feel I'd rather put the tape/console simulation at the start of the chain in both instances, as then you can set your colouration and not have it change as you mess with comps and eq's. But thats just my own personal mindset.

The tape monitoring this is silly. If the tape machine sounded bad, needed any calibration etc then it would be adjusted and reprinted. It's not like mixers print to tape an if it sounds shit just live with it.

The tape monitoring this is silly. If the tape machine sounded bad, needed any calibration etc then it would be adjusted and reprinted. It's not like mixers print to tape an if it sounds shit just live with it.

Its not silly when you have never used one.
I was not doubting the sound quality, just weather or not it is worth monitoring my mix with it on as this will influence my other mix decisions which is not typical when using real tape. (so it would seem)