Enchant and Prog Power/Glenn's Comments

Unca Kev

Bass Player & Music Pimp
Mar 17, 2004
Fort Lauderdale
A new thread that popped on the Prog Power forum, brings up Enchant again and Glenn answers back about the possibility of Enchant playing at PP:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223443

It seems that our efforts have made an impact on Glenn, but now all Enchant needs is a new release and so that they can be seriously be considered for PP. I also like the fact that Glenn has considered them in the past, even though they're not considered metal. Some positives and some negatives, in what he said, but still hopefull.

Wow a direct comment about the band.... cool beans....

Funny cause I know that both Doug and Sean and Ed have remarked to me the whole 'Enchant thing' - you see Glenn's comment about Nearfest - and yet, Nearfest the band was apparently the heaviest thing on the bill and threw some people for a loop because of that.....

Goes right into the general observer's impressions of 'too hard for Nearfest and too light for Prog Power...' Well, we in THE KNOW undertsand that that is BS...... we just gotta convince the other folks otherwise....

But I am happy that our WAVING THE FLAG on that forum got some attention and brought ot light a LOT of fans of the band who would like to see them play PP. The consideration for the future is there so that is great :headbang:

yeah let's hope so..I think to be honest..Glenn saw so much of it, he wanted to address people asking why (like myself)

but to me..the whole Nearfest thing..should have absolutely nothing to do with it (or the terminology of a band genre or style specifically being 'Progressive Rock")...honestly..the festivals don't have anything to do with eachother..

the NF people do the same thing..they won't book bands who played at PP..except Pain of Salvation did play at ProgDay 2001..but Rob and Chad usually say "they are a great band for PP"..lol

who likes labels when it comes to booking a band?..fact is fans show up to these things WHO ARE FANS OF BOTH..altho..admittedly, I am one of the only people who used to attend both every year (that I knew of).

Kyle

It's nice to see a thread on a completely different forum end up starting another thread over here.
Thanks for the backup over there gang. I have been waving the Enchant flag in front of Glenn's face since PP3......and every year I have been disappointed. I was thinking this year might have been different because so many other people had jumped onboard my earlier post about Enchant on that same message board back in September/October of last year when band requests were being made......and I guess this all isn't fruitless.....I will most likely get to see Enchant on the stage in Atlanta at ProgPower 14 or something......*sigh*

Anyways, it means a lot to me because Enchant is the last band I need to see live from all of the bands I grew up listening to that got me into prog music in the early nineties. I have seen almost every band that really meant something to me and I just couldn't schedule the trip to Oakland to see them live at the Imusicast......so I had to settle for the DVD. I was online watching it streaming though and I have to say, that was as close to being there as anyone could ask for without actually booking the flight.
I have seen Dream Theater and Fates Warning and Solitude Aeturnus and Conception and Threshold and Savatage and Stratovarius and Angra and so on and so on.....but Enchant is basically the last "REAL" band from the early era of progressive metal that was out there doing the prog thing before the internet spawned thousands of prog bands to fill every niche imaginable. Those were the days of Lethal and Crimson Glory and Heads or Tales and Candlemass and all the others who were out there creating whole genres before we had names for them........
This is not a jab at the new crop of prog bands out there, there was just some magic back before the internet when you found a gem at the music store like Enchant......buying a CD based on the cover, song titles, and track lengths......the internet has kind of ruined that now since you can research anything and everything.......basically now it's kind of like finding out there was no Santa Claus.......because there is no mystery at the music stores. You just buy the CDs that you listened to the MP3s of for the last month to make sure you were going to like it.
Tsk tsk.......

I guess there's hope for next year eh? Maybe I need to start festival down here near Houston and make it a progprog show........meaning progrock and progmetal......I could call it PROGSQUARED..

Anakin

Yes, very encouraging indeed!!!

BTW, I'm all for Prog Squared! That would be awesome!

WHAT!?!??! No Santa Claus!?!??!! WTF?!?!?! :yell: :yell: :yell: :yell:

My night was just ruined - thanks Anakin.

So Ed, still up for the ProgWest with Enchant, Odin's Court, Zero Hour, and Kat V? :Spin: How about a Dali's Dilemma reunion while we're at it?

Prog² would :headbang: :headbang: !!! A band like Enchant would fit like a glove in a festival like that! Dave, Robert and I have already agreed that if any one of us wins the lottery, we'll have a prog festival, not unlike that! But I think that everybody's had that dream! :D

I think y'all are a little dillusional about how "encouraging" those comments were. Frankly, it sounded like he was grasping at straws for reasons/excuses not to book them. "And, and ... um ... and, they played at NearFest! So they *must* be the wrong kind of band. ... And they might not have a new album out! Yeah, that's it..."

As has been said a million times, however, it's Glenn's fest, so I won't blame him for doing whatever he wants. More power to him.

It's just disappointing, because at this point I'd be really shocked if Enchant ever got the nod. Especially the way PPUSA lineups have been going as of late.

It's unfortunate for guys like me ... NearFest is way too light, ProgPower is too heavy and brainless. Where's the festival that runs the full spectrum from IQ, Saga, Spock's Beard to Enchant, PoS, Arena to Angra, Edguy, Blind Guardian? In dreamland, that's where....

DT Jesus said:
I think y'all are a little dillusional about how "encouraging" those comments were. Frankly, it sounded like he was grasping at straws for reasons/excuses not to book them. "And, and ... um ... and, they played at NearFest! So they *must* be the wrong kind of band. ... And they might not have a new album out! Yeah, that's it..."

As has been said a million times, however, it's Glenn's fest, so I won't blame him for doing whatever he wants. More power to him.

It's just disappointing, because at this point I'd be really shocked if Enchant ever got the nod. Especially the way PPUSA lineups have been going as of late.

It's unfortunate for guys like me ... NearFest is way too light, ProgPower is too heavy and brainless. Where's the festival that runs the full spectrum from IQ, Saga, Spock's Beard to Enchant, PoS, Arena to Angra, Edguy, Blind Guardian? In dreamland, that's where....

Exactly where is the festival that runs that full spectrum? Jimmy B wrote in once there should be a " great music" festival with no damn label or Prog or Power tag just good music. You get caught in beetween Neartfest and PP when your an Enchant type band.

Thats OK with us because we have never wanted to be tagged as just one genre or type. We pride ourselves on that and always have. The promoters of these festivals do a great job and your right, no one can blame them for inviting who they want and feel will be right for the festivals. Nearfest is strong this year and in my opinion this one is closest to this. Chad and Rob are very cool guys and have open minds. The crowd that tends to come to this one can be Prog Snobbish and I am loving the fact they will have Riverside this year. Although they have had Planet X and STGM who must have really upset the apple cart :)

Hey they have Manring ( bass genius ) FM ( opened for Rush in the early 8o,s right? and are amazing, Riverside amazing and Keith Emerson, do I need to comment. Maybe this one is more prog but damn those alone are solid. Last years PP was great with Conception especially. I think it is more of a metal festival though, I fail to see the Prog side but can understand how they might be getting away from that because I don,t think people are into progressive acts as much there now. Funny because with a heavier set I have no debt we would do fine there but we would only want to go if they, Glenn and the PP die hard REALLY wanted Enchant. I think we will just have to wait and see how it goes after we release the next one. If the timing is right next year and Glenn decides he wants to invite Enchant, and we would be a good fit then for sure it could happen. I am planning to go next year and support the PP fest either way because I have great things about it. So far his line up is looking great and this guy does a great job with the festival.

Same with Nearfest Chad and Rob as well, they kick ass and do a great job, a shout as well for Papa down the way here in So Cal as well. Check out Calprog this year, awesome line up!

OK so yes we need that "Full Spectrum" fest so hopefully somebody will start one up one of these days. I think we need one here in NorCal and of course we would love to have everyone from this forum be there! Thats why we play the lotto right :tickled:

For everyone who has supported us with this :worship: you are the best!

ebass said:
Hey they have Manring ( bass genius )...
Damn! They have Michael Manring and Billy Sheehan (w/ Niacin), which are both bass heroes of mine, too! Not to mention, I'm finally getting around to checking out Riverside, as I type this, and I'm diggin' them! I might actually see about going to Nearfest!

I wish Pure Reason Revolution would get booked..but they likely will be touring the States this summer since their new album comes out in early March and they recently signed to Sony.

That being said, the festival that I might be optimistic about..is if he gets the chance, not Gigantour, but Mike Portnoy has mentioned doing a "ProgaPalooza" kinda thing. Not this summer..but maybe '07..I can see that being open-minded, but still kicking ass.

Kyle

Unca Kev said:
Damn! They have Michael Manring and Billy Sheehan (w/ Niacin), which are both bass heroes of mine, too! Not to mention, I'm finally getting around to checking out Riverside, as I type this, and I'm diggin' them! I might actually see about going to Nearfest!

Hey Unclecracka - I was just listening to the new album yesterday myself.... do you have both????

And if certain people thought Enchant was 'too heavy' at Nearfest, I can't WAIT to see their faces at the end of track 2 if Riverside plays it - that is really a punch in the face sonically and vocally.

Burke said:
Hey Unclecracka - I was just listening to the new album yesterday myself.... do you have both????

And if certain people thought Enchant was 'too heavy' at Nearfest, I can't WAIT to see their faces at the end of track 2 if Riverside plays it - that is really a punch in the face sonically and vocally.

Actually I don't have either (Riverside) album, just a handfull of mp3s that I got to check out. They have their mellow songs, but I did hear one or two that got heavier.

Soundscape said:
That being said, the festival that I might be optimistic about..is if he gets the chance, not Gigantour, but Mike Portnoy has mentioned doing a "ProgaPalooza" kinda thing. Not this summer..but maybe '07..I can see that being open-minded, but still kicking ass.

Kyle
Portnoy doing a Progapalooza...:OMG:...that would fucking RULE! :headbang: