Enchant's History -- Past Personnel Changes & Such

sharward

Lately I've been curious about the band's history. My friend who turned me onto Enchant mentioned that there have been some changes in the lineup over the years, and I can see by looking at the "full discography" paragraphs of each of the band members' bios do seem to reflect recent additions (Bill and Sean joining at Tug of War) and some odd "missing members" for some releases following their joining (neither Ed's nor Bill's bios include "Break" -- or is this a goof on the site?).

I think a "band history" page on the site would be a very nice addition. :)

Can anyone (um... Ed? ;)) fill us in on these blanks?

--Keith

there were few changes indeed…*
Paul Craddick was behind the drum kit and Benignus used to tickle the black and white keys. First man to leave was him, and Paul left in 2002 before the Blink recordings… Ed left but came back couple of years after

Don't know if this qualifies as part of the history, but I've always wanted to know more about Steve Rothery's appearance on the first album. How does an unknown American band get a British prog legend like him to come in for their debut album and lay down some solos? I think he also mixed some or all of the album? I've always been curious what the story was there.

Hey Paul met Steve and asked him to help up fix the messy mix.

Doug and Paul flew over to the U.K and they worked on the final production with Steve. I have always loved the trade off solos in Nighttime Sky I remember getting chills when Doug first played this for me after they got back. Good times.

Steve was just here a few weeks ago working on material for the upcoming Wishing Tree release with Pauls lovely wife Hannah who is the voice for that project as you all know.

Steve is a great guy and has helped us so much over the years.

Don't know if this qualifies as part of the history, but I've always wanted to know more about Steve Rothery's appearance on the first album. How does an unknown American band get a British prog legend like him to come in for their debut album and lay down some solos? I think he also mixed some or all of the album? I've always been curious what the story was there.

Some more back history. There was a pre-band called Mae-Dae that turned into Enchant by the early nineties. I played guitar, Robert Lee(aka Gwynn Adams from Headshear) played guitar and Briane Cline played bass with Paul and Benignus. I think all three of us have actual song righting credits on Enchant albums....as some of that early stuff popped up at some points. Standing Ground is one example. Indeed the first version of enchant(and coupla demo's) was basically playing Mae Dae songs.

Ty

I've wondered this for a long time, and now my friends (who have discovered Enchant through me) are wondering too...

Why did Ed leave before Break was recorded and (thankfully!) return for Tug Of War? (No disrespect to Doug's terrific work on the bass on that album of course!)

Why did Paul leave after Break?

I rejoined after me and Douglas re-connected the Juggling year. The disc was all but done, I played the bass on Paint the Picture and then decided I missed the band so I rejoined :kickass:

The rest is history they say.

I won't get into the other history about Break, not the best of times but a great disc for sure.

I missed out on a lot back then, it was a rough period for me, and the band actually.

didn't Ed return for JUGGLING?..I think Ed can come in an explain the reasons why he left before BREAK. The BREAK lyrics ya know, may illustrate some of the reasons in a way.