circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
End of Level Boss – Prologue
Exile on Mainstream Records – EOM 019 – September 5th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

endoflevelboss.jpg

End of Level Boss sound more like Soundgarden than anybody else, methinks. From the Cornell-esque vocals to the music itself, Prologue has the ‘90’s written all over it. Lovers of the former band may recognize current members having been involved with acts such as Decomposed, Hangnail, Floor, and Centurion’s Ghost. I’m both chagrined and agitated that I wasn’t aware of the End of Level Boss timeline, but regardless, here they are offering an album that failed to pull me in any direction.

Oddly, Prologue involuntarily latches onto the stoner/doom tag, but I don’t think that particular categorization fits at all. To corner myself, I’d simply call ‘em hard rock. Perhaps I don’t get it this time around, though. Anyhow – to move on – the album clocks in at forty minutes, and eight songs help achieve the specified length. During the catchy instrumental passages, my mind naturally drifted to groups traveling similar paths. For instance, the beginnings of “Disjointhead” and “Hedonophobia” scream Trephine, while variants have a penchant for toying around with Seattle-bred characteristics. Admittedly, in spite of my analyses, End of Level Boss don’t fall short in the groove arena. Check “Hedonophobia,” again, and “Noisepicker” for further elucidation. In all honesty, I wish Prologue had had a greater impact on me as a listener, even aside from the reviewing aspect, and I also wish I was very intoxicated right now, but I doubt that wish is going to be granted either. Well…maybe.

Although this foursome, rich in history I hesitate to add, aren’t quite as fulfilling as I envisioned them being, illustrious attributes make cameos from time to time. The comparison to Trephine will only work in their favor, though the aforementioned is tainted – at times – by the ‘90’s influence that terminates the fun happenings. With the album title being so ominous, I don’t have to wonder about the future of the quartet. Specifically, I’ll be awaiting more releases, and hopefully the follow-ups will be able to overpower their ancestor. Now, about that alcohol...

7/10

Official End of Level Boss Website
Official Exile on Mainstream Records Website

Rather interesting sound...Voi Vod meets grunge, with dashes of doom. Originality counts for something in my book and the singer is impressive...