Engineers/drummers

scorpio01169

Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
my question to all you drummers who engineer their own studios...i am about to start a project and i am playing drums on it...well my singer is going to engineers as far as hitting record and play....but setting up levels he knows nothing about. and he is no means a drummer how do you guys go about setting levels quickly without having to run back and forth into the control room and checking levels from recording? if any of that makes sence to you guys

my question to all you drummers who engineer their own studios...i am about to start a project and i am playing drums on it...well my singer is going to engineers as far as hitting record and play....but setting up levels he knows nothing about. and he is no means a drummer how do you guys go about setting levels quickly without having to run back and forth into the control room and checking levels from recording? if any of that makes sence to you guys

i just tune the drums, set up the mics, and hit record and play a bit. then see what ive got and adjust from there. it usually doesnt take more than two or three times. do it when you are the only one there so you dont have to rush. if you rush, chances are its not gonna come out to your satisfaction. i find it hard to record myself for some reason. its alot to do and nail a good take on top of it? its hard to do for alot of people. if you give yourself some time to set up though, you should be in good shape if everything is tuned and the gear is decent. give it a shot.

haha
i have a small setup that is in reach of my drums with some stretching so i can set the levels
i usually place the snare as loud as can and do some quick double bass/snare stuff so i can set the over heads and snare
and the rest is just done with some trial and error

I grab someone else and have them sit on the set, then I say. "ok hit the drum as fucking hard as you can and keep hitting that shit till I say ok".

Go down the line and there ya have it.

The only thing I don't like to not set myself is the OH mics. In that case I just set them were I think they are probably ok, hit record go back look ajust, hit record again, ajust usually I am good at this point.