ENGL blackmore popping sounds

Fugdup

Fus Ro Dah
Dec 29, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Lately i've been hearing popping sounds when starting up my engl blackmore.
Even if the master volume is at 0.1, the popping sounds are REALLY loud, as if i had the master volume at 4.
It happens all the time now, i can't even use the amp.

What can be the cause of this?
Does it need new tubes? It's only been sitting on my cab in my room, so it doesnt make sense if it's damaged in any way.

I've never really messed with stuff inside amplifiers, so i don't know how to diagnose it. Got any tip on what to do? Is there an easy way to find out what's wrong? Would be nice if i could fix it myself instead of paying a buttload of money for it.

Thanks in advance.

Most likely tubes. Next in line of probability is a cap, third wonky pot. Buy a couple 12ax7's and do some swapping (obviously while the amp is turned off). Also monitor the effect's out, if there's no popping coming out of the preamp, but still through the cab it could be a power tube.
Good luck.

+1. Crackling or "spitting" sounds are usually tubes. In the case of vintage amps, it can sometimes be filter caps, but your amp isn't old, so I'd say most likely a tube has gotten noisy. Like sprack said, buy a couple preamp tubes and swap them out one at a time until you find the problem tube. That's the least expensive way to start.