ENGL Powerball haters

nathan1984

New Metal Member
Jun 27, 2014
Southern Illinois
I did a reamp with my ENGL Powerball v1. I hear so much bs about how they aren't very good, they don't cut in a mix, they have horrible construction, blah blah blah. Well, my powerball is probably 7 years old, still kicking, I use it live against my other guitarist's 6505/mesa rig and I get told that all the crowd could hear was me. And here is a song I did with the Powerball, no boost, with a Mesa Rectifier 4x12 with one sm57. I think this is a great amp personally, hope you guys enjoy. Maybe I can get people to appreciate this amp for what it is, a good amp. I will say this though for the haters, its not for everyone, and it isn't for every situation, but you wouldn't use a 6505 on a bluegrass record either.

https://soundcloud.com/nathanlimes/engl-powerball

I don't have an opinion on the Powerball either way but the mp3 sounds ok but nothing amazing. The deficiency in sound is probably more about the recording/mixing than anything inherent about the tone of Engl.

How hard can it be to mix when there's only guitars and drums anyway? :D

While a little bit thin, it really works for your song. I think it might be missing a little low-mid action, a bit "static" sounding in the high mids.

I certainly would not say that this is not a very good amp, sounds like it has some great tones. Thanks for uploading, enjoyed!

Hi, the clip sounds good, I'll try to get more lows from the mic position and keep presence a bit lower. Anyway, It's a great amp, I like my Powerball a lot, but I did some things to make it a better amp. I removed the original tubes and bought a matched quartet of Winged =C= for the power amp and Tung Sol, Penta Labs and Sovtek LPS balanced for the preamp. The most important tube is the V2 (V6 in Engl Powerball layout). Some people put a 12AT7 or 5751 tube to remove the harsh sound and make the gain more usable. I prefer a Penta 12AX7 low gain in that position.

There's not a single palm mute in that clip...

Apart from the fireball I think that every other ENGL smokes the powerball.
Live and in the studio.

To be honest, the tone is not to my liking. Somewhat harsh with weird hollow metallic-sounding mids. The harsh high-mids are what make it overpower a mix, and might make it louder in a live setting than your other guitarist's amp.

lol it´s funny how you speak, make seems that you have a hell of a tone when you dont. It´s not bad but not awesome either, nothing that cant be done with a ampsim.

I think it sounds nice - tone will always be a matter of taste. Nice playing also, by the way. :)
Will never understand why people are so keen on bashing the efforts and taste of others. Each to their own.
Stay metal!

I think it sounds nice - tone will always be a matter of taste. Nice playing also, by the way. :)
Will never understand why people are so keen on bashing the efforts and taste of others. Each to their own.
Stay metal!

It's not about bashing...but if someone asks an opinion or posts up in a public forum claiming something then everyone has the right to give their constructive criticisms or positive reinforcement, no?

It's not about bashing...but if someone asks an opinion or posts up in a public forum claiming something then everyone has the right to give their constructive criticisms or positive reinforcement, no?

Agree, that is generally what you are hoping for when posting. However, quite often the "tone" is sarcastic or worse, which I think is unnecessary. Happened here as well... Then again, most of us have thick skin! :)