Engl Powerball Impulse Test

Mart

Sep 23, 2008
Germany, Heidelberg
mixed this with shitty headphones, so it might be crap...
i'm pretty sure there's something i'm still doing wrong with this impulse stuff cause most of them sound quite dull in my mixes:erk:
whatever, here we go...

i used my powerball for the first time (fx send) and i like the sound but i'm still not satisfied. it's quadtracked and with 2 different impulses (awesometime and guitarhacks mesa trad quad centre)

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/204653/ImpulseTest.mp3

comments would be great!

I agree it might be a TINY bit fizzy, but I thought it was a really good tone.

What program are you using to load your impulses? I have some experience with boogex, and sometime the gain can be turned up or other tone knobs be turned up, which can affect your tone in a negative way, but usually it's a lot more noticeable than what your tone is sounding like.

Maybe wait for some people to comment who know more than me. :lol:

thanks! i think the first one is too scooped but got more balls and the second is a bit too muddy but more aggressive and "in-your-face"-like...
i will try to combine both tones later...

i like the second one MUCH better as far as guitar tone, however the the mix as a whole doesn't sound as heavy.

but instead of eqing the guitar any more, what i would do is just bring up the bass guitar to fill out some low end and bring up the overheads to add some high end. this will demphasize the mids in a more natural sounding way.

Sounds like with each one you're going to extremes with the mids.
One's reallyy scooped and one's pretty honky. Find a good middle ground and you're sorted IMO.
I prefer the first one though. I got a thing for dem metallic tonez ;]

Nice man! Sounds really good.

sounds brutal. Nice work.

thanks dudes! i'm really happy about the feedback as i'm not so sure about my tone...i like it but it still sounds kind of tiny to my ears. i think i should read the "how to make your guitars bigger/brighter" - thread...

Sounds sick, although not overly wide. What are you panning at? I think most people pan at 100/80/80/100, this sounds more like 100/70/70/100.

Hihat sounds uber weird though.

yeah, might be the case, will check that panning thing later...what do you mean by the weird hihat sound? anyhow, i will purchase ssd 3.0 ex next month and hopefully get a better drumsound although i like mine:)