Ensiferum are back!

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
I just noticed their new release over at The Omega. It's just a single, but the new album will follow in April. If you guys don't know Ensiferum, check them out. They've been around since 1995, and only have one s/t album, but it's really good.

Here's a sample MP3 of the new song: http://www.spinefarm.net/metal/mp3/Ensiferum_%20Tale%20Of%20Revenge.mp3

To be honest, they have such a mixture of influences in their music, this 30 second song sample really doesn't tell you much at all. There is a review, however, for their debut album up at RC which I wrote a long time ago, and there's even an interview if you're interested.

From what I understand, they'll be touring with Finntroll this year. Fans of Finntroll should definitely enjoy Ensiferum.

the self-titled is actually pretty good, I agree. It's got some cheese, but they pull off the whole melo-death gone folk thing a lot better than Suidakra ever hoped to. I don't listen to it too often, though.

I'll wait till the full length.

I thought Suidakra's Emprise to Avalon was quite excellent. Really epic album, and "And the Giants Dance..." is one of the greatest folk-metal instrumentals I've heard. I also have Lays From Afar & Lupine Essence which are heavy on their folk black metal roots, but I hardly ever listen to them...

Ensiferum seem to be much more power-metal based although they refer to themselves as "Heroic Pagan Metal"(?) on their old website. They obviously have a love affair with Blind Guardian, and Markus Toivonen's claim that Tales from the Thousand Lakes as the greatest record ever isn't surprising at all.

yay, i thought of making a thread about them yesterday but it's hard beeing witty when you're not a native ;)
anyway their first album is really enjoyable in spite of the general cheesyness, major grammar errors and broken english :D i'll definately check the new one out, but only after i've downloaded it; i've made some crappy chance purchases lately :<

edit: i checked the tracklist for their pre-album single: i assume that the track called "battery" must be a metallica cover. i can hardly wait :D

spaffe said:
edit: i checked the tracklist for their pre-album single: i assume that the track called "battery" must be a metallica cover. i can hardly wait :D
Indeed you are correct - it is the Metallica cover. Either they'll play it identically or they'll turn it into a pagan fantasy medieval opus of majesty!!!!11 :loco: