Enslaved - RUUN

Enslaved - RUUN
Candelight Records USA – CDL274 – 02/05/06
By Sam Brokenshaw

ruun_cover.jpg

Enslaved are one of those few bands who can seemingly do no wrong, or at least, do no wrong for me. Their entire discography appeals on one level or another; be it the proto-progressive, cold black metal they started out making, or the latter, more progressive metal they seem to have made a niche of. Below the Lights was a standout album as far as perfectly illustrating what the new Enslaved ethic is really about. A certain degree of brutality and extremity remains, but ventures into more progressive territory are often endeavoured, offering rich rewards to a listener with any degree of patience.

RUUN is the next logical step for the band, following on from the excellent Isa. The song writing is pretty much in the same vein, albeit with a more defined sense of groove and a predilection towards rocking out as opposed to blasting away. Grutle's vile, Nocturno Culto-esque snarl is punctuated with competent Opeth-esque clean vocal breaks. Following on from the previous album, keyboards play a larger role, be it providing a wider orchestral palette or providing a space rock ambiance which adds another sense of depth to Enslaved's already cavernous dimensions. RUUN succeeds where others have failed, purely due to the level of craftsmanship Enslaved always seem to employ. Nothing is either half-hearted or poorly realised, adding up to an album with an impressive initial effect, but taking nothing away from prolonged listening either.

8/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Enslaved Website
Candlelight Records USA Official Website

I must agree with Agalloch here, though I don't like Ruun as much as Isa or Below the Lights. Still, Enslaved are one of the most consistent bands around.

I'd say this is one of their best. Very easy to get into, not as harsh or long-winded as "Isa". One of the very few bands to push the boundaries while staying true to a core sound.

Very impressed with this album. Definitely caught me by surprise. Under-rated in many other reviews, sadly. Good stuff, guys!

I actually enjoy Enslaved's new direction quite a bit, one of the few black metal (sorta...) band that I can get into. Below the Lights/Isa/Ruun are naturally my favs among their releases, all 9 or 10 star albums.