Entombed: The Quaker Oats of Death Metal

Carcassian said:
Never in a million years even appoaching LHP in terms of songwriting or performance. Dark Recollections, aside from the odd riff or two, remains one of the most over-rated albums from the era.

Everything about Dark Recollections - from its sophisticated (for the time) use of melody, to its expertly structured songs to its esoteric production values - leaves Left Hand Path in the dust. It's just a more accomplished work on every level.

good, but hardly any more sophisticated than the music to be found on LHP

The basic technique is roughly similar, but Into the Grave consistently creates moments of tension and drama through dynamic and rhythmic variation where Left Hand Path just plows mindlessly ahead. Besides, both albums hang their hats on the aural punishment they deliver. The difference is that Into the Grave is about five times heavier.

Soulside Journey is a death metal album, and so hardly from another scene.

A "scene" is a regional phenomenon. DarkThrone was never a part of the Stockholm circuit (though they did record initially at Sunlight Studios) that Entombed, Grave, Dismember etc. hailed from.

It is also puzzlingly popular for an album full of half baked ideas and rudimentary song writing.

Soulside Journey is easily one of the most sophisticated and complex death metal recordings of its era. It defies inattentive listening, however, because it avoids the easy absolutism of predictably resolving each phrase on the downbeat in favor of longer, more abstract phrases and ambiguity in resolution. In this it more closely replicated the ambivalence of an existence where violence and death are transformed by nature into a life-sustaining poetry, and, in doing so, pointed the way to the epic black metal to come (including their own). Left Hand Path just recycles old riffs and old ideas in a condition of stasis. If it points to anything, it is Entombed's future as a bar rock travesty.

A "scene" is a regional phenomenon.

Wrong.

It defies inattentive listening, however, because it avoids the easy absolutism of predictably resolving each phrase on the downbeat in favor of longer, more abstract phrases and ambiguity in resolution. In this it more closely replicated the ambivalence of an existence where violence and death are transformed by nature into a life-sustaining poetry (rigggggggggggggggggggggggggggght), and, in doing so, pointed the way to the epic black metal to come (including their own). .

...and here I was thinking it was just a load of half-baked bollocks. You learn something new everyday.

When people refer to a 'scene,' they're talking about bands in a particular location playing a particular style of music. "Death metal" isn't a scene, it's a genre.

Planetary Eulogy said:
When people refer to a 'scene,' they're talking about bands in a particular location playing a particular style of music. "Death metal" isn't a scene, it's a genre.

if there were 9 bands across the world playing progressive industrial polkacore, would they not qualify as the "progressive industrial polkacore scene"? That scene being bands of that style in the particular location of the earth...

Maybe the international "progressive industrial polkacore scene," but a scene implies a specific geographic location.

When a specific area produces a notably universal "sound," e.g. the "Swedish Death Metal 'scene'" consisting of such bands as Entombed, Grave, Dismember, Unleashed, Carnage, etc.

^I'm with that.

My take on Left Hand Path is that the observation of its tapering off in overall quality and freshness after the beastly title track is accurate and noted, but after listening to it as a whole, the impression left by the momentum generated by the first song and the undeniably piledriving songs afterward is still "Whoa."

IMO, the most overrated band (and respective album) in this thread is Grave.

Majority of people can agree left hand path is awsome especially for 89. As far as I know entombed(nihilist) is the first swedish death metal band so giving them such a low rating is unfair. Any parts on LHP album that resemble 'melody' should not have been on the album because it sounds out of place.

Entombed regardless when playing death metal or not was never about
"fully articulated melodic content or any sense of purpose or direction". The band had simple rock elements from day one. Entombed seem very into blues and I can't picture them with good melody based on how they play.

Dismember was expirimenting with melody and I can't stand most of their cds.

Like And Everflowing Stream is very good, not as good as left hand path.

Also....Left hand path is not the best song on the album, actually it can be very boring. If the whole album was atmospheric like the ending of that song it would be boring. It's a cool opening at first but I usually skip it. Left Hand Path has en edge over grave and dismember. end

Older unleashed is better than dismember and grave.

The Greys said:
Majority of people can agree left hand path is awsome especially for 89. As far as I know entombed(nihilist) is the first swedish death metal band so giving them such a low rating is unfair. Any parts on LHP album that resemble 'melody' should not have been on the album because it sounds out of place.

Entombed regardless when playing death metal or not was never about
"fully articulated melodic content or any sense of purpose or direction". The band had simple rock elements from day one. Entombed seem very into blues and I can't picture them with good melody based on how they play.

Dismember was expirimenting with melody and I can't stand most of their cds.

Like And Everflowing Stream is very good, not as good as left hand path.

Also....Left hand path is not the best song on the album, actually it can be very boring. If the whole album was atmospheric like the ending of that song it would be boring. It's a cool opening at first but I usually skip it. Left Hand Path has en edge over grave and dismember. end

Older unleashed is better than dismember and grave.
I noticed that you're gay