Entwine - The Ultimate Metal Interview

Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
ENTWINE
By Melanie Haack

Their first gig in Germany – in Hamburg – and they had no time to spend a night in some bars on the „Reeperbahn“ – the most popular and famous street in Germany with lots of bars, clubs, restaurants, discos and just everything that promises fun. …Entwine’s first European tour started really hard. They arrived early in the morning in Hamburg and didn’t have much time to relax before being live on stage. Some days after their new and third album „Time of Despair“ was released in middle Europe the non-Finnish people should now learn who Entwine are.
There were lots of good reviews in all the magazines and those who love melodic and often melancholic gothic rock will definitely enjoy the music. In contrast to Entwine’s last album „Gone“ the new one is more electronic, the voice rocks more – „Time of Despair” is more experimental. It is gothic rock with great and wonderful melodies to dream of. Mika Tauriainen’s voice becomes more and more the band’s trademark. Just a few hours before the gig the singer took much time to talk about the new album, the tour and the band.

It's your first gig in Germany - your first European tour! Nervous?

I can't understand that thing right now ‘cause I did a lot today. It’s been a very rough day. I didn't even have the time to become nervous. I should go to bed and sleep... I'm really tired. One year ago we had the chance to go on tour with Paradise Lost but they came 3 weeks before the tour started - too late. The 69 Eyes did the Germany tour. It was supposed to be a promotion tour but it wouldn’t have served us ‘cause Germany is the biggest place to do this kind of things. We wanted to come here.

Is it just a "normal" gig or something special?

No, it's not a normal gig. In Finland, when you are doing stuff in English you are like an invader. It’s not your home country. But when you are in Germany or Sweden and you sing in English you are the same as everybody else. I think that everybody who sings in English wants to be somewhere else. There are some bands doing their job in Finland since 20 years and have been at the same places over and over again. I don't want to do that!

Are you more nervous than in Finland? Here you have to convince the audience of your musical quality. The fans who come to your gigs in Finland know that you're good…

That's what I like to do. When you are for example in your hometown and your friends are there, this means: Oh, yes, I am gonna be a rockstar for my friends - that's not possible. Here I can be what I want to be and do whatever I like to do. It's different. I like to perform to some people I don't know and they don’t know me. My friends know who I am. So I don't have to prove them anything.

How difficult is it to play as support for a band like Theater of Tragedy? The majority is waiting for them..

It's the same gig… if I am headliner, middle act or the first band. I wanna do my music. It's not a competition - it's pure music.

Will you play a mixture of "Gone" and "Time of Despair"?

Yes, because we hadn’t been on European tour with "Gone". We love playing these songs. It wouldn't be good to leave them out. "Time of Despair" has just been released and there are many people who don't know the songs yet. We will definitely play "Closer". A lot of people think that it's a love story but it's about my grandfather. I had a vision. You have to know that my grandmother died and I imagined what he thought in the last minutes before her death. This is the true story of the song.

Every day on tour you look into the same faces. Afraid that there might appear any problems?

Of course, there can be problems. Once in Finland we had had a fight …but we settled… happy again together. We are all six big heads. Maybe we come back to Finland with black eyes. Serious: If you don't argue it is not normal. It's comparable to a family. If you truly love each other you argue sometimes. It's similar in the band. It’s nice when there's a little bit hectic on the tour. You get power and you don't think so much.

What is your inspiration? Long Finnish nights?

It’s Everything. It sometimes comes when I am walking, sometimes it simply comes to my mind. Then I take a pencil and start writing. Sometimes when I play guitar a melody evolves. But when I am in a bad mood I can't write down anything! I have to calm down and be relaxed. I need a timeless moment for myself. Then many ideas gather in my mind and can be put together like a puzzle. Tom Mikkola, our guitarplayer, and our producer Anssi Kippo also write the lyrics. If you are not satisfied someone else will come and say: "..let's make it that way". That's a good thing!

Let's talk about "Time of Despair". What should have been changed after “Gone”?

We wanted it more powerful and aggressive, spacy. My favourite song is "Time of Despair". Lyrics and melody walk together hand in hand. The feeling speaks the word. I did most of the vocals of that song in the morning. I just woke up, drank coffee, my eyes were tired... I was totally relaxed while recording the vocals. It was some kind of natural. Some sound I had lost I found again. This happened unconsciously. Everytime I hear this song it gets me shivers.

How long have you been in the studio?

About 45 days. It was hell. We thought it would be easier to record the third album. But you fight against yourself, the biggest monster. You are hard to yourself, sometimes too hard. Sometimes it really was a "time of despair". There were two days when I thought that I will never come back to the studio. I was so pissed off…

The album-reviews were really good here. 9/10 and 8/10 points for example. Surprised?

Yeah, really because I don't know how Century Media promotes us here in Europe. I don't know what's going on here...cool...everybody loves me. I am not so bad after all... In Finland the single "The Pit" had been released but that's not a song that is played by radio stations - too hard. It went another way than we wanted. We would have preferred "Nothing left to say" to be published.

In many reviews you could read that your voice improved. Do you think the same?

Yeah, I found myself again. It's the new old me. I was too whimpy. On "Gone" the sound was clearer. Now we concentrated on finding the real sound, my real self. It gives more feeling to people…

Thank you for the interview

Thank you, see you at the concert.

A really interesting and nice young man who took more than much time and told a lot, who offered his beer to me, who sometimes couldn’t the find the right words because he was so tired... so we searched for the best explanation but couldn’t find one – but we knew what we meant – and who hardly stopped holding a cigarette in his hand… and of course smoking it.

Internet: www.entwine.cjb.net

Wow!! I had no idea "Closer" was about his grandparents!! Interesting!!