Ram-Zet - The Ultimate Metal Interview

Russell

__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
RAM-ZET
By Melanie Haack

Unusual, fascinating and just totally different from everything else – the perfect description for Ram-Zet. Their music is anything but normal. Far away from mainstream the Norwegians create their own style. To mention some influences: black metal, industrial and progressive structures are just three of various elements Ram-Zet combine. After the band’s debut „Pure Therapy“ in September 2000 Bandleader Zet and the other guys released with „Escape“ another great album. Now they want to conquer Europe – as support of Theatre of Tragedy and Entwine. Two days before their first gig in Hamburg on April the 29th singer and guitarist Zet took some time for a short interview.

In the beginning Ram-Zet was an one-man project. What was the reason for becoming a band with fulltime members?

“When I recorded “pure therapy” I worked close with both Solem and Küth, and they where really enthusiastic ‘bout joining the band. They’re great musicians, and terrific guys, so I was happy with that, of course. When the release was done, we wanted to do some live-acts, and got in touch with Sfinx (guest musician on the “pure therapy”) Sareeta, and Magnus. It all worked out extremely well at the stage, so we decided to ask all three of them, to join permanently.”

In which way did the music changed from 1998 until now?

“It’s a little less black, and a little more melodic, but still even a bit more “psychotic” I guess. And now, it’s got much more of a band felling, I think, instead of a project.”

I think it is your first gig in Germany and the first European tour. What are your feelings about that? Nervous?

“I’m exited, and of course I wonder, how the people are going to respond to our music, because a lot of them have never heard us. Besides, we’re pretty different from TOT and Entwine, but nervous…….no…, not yet, and we’re leaving tomorrow, so it’s not much time to get nervous…ha ha…..Most of all, I’m looking forward to play in front of a lot of new people every day!”

How hard is it for a band to play as first from three bands? And most of the people are waiting for theatre and perhaps Entwine

“Well, on the first tour, you have to deal with the fact that you’re “small” and we just have to do our very best, to give the audience a neat experience. How hard……?…….don’t know yet, but we got everything to gain.”

All the reviews in Germany were full of praise. 10 from 10 points for example. Are you surprised by that fact?

“Well…yeah.. most of the reviews are really good. Surprised? I think journalist listen carefully to the albums that they’re going to review. And our album, is definitely something you should listen to, at least 5 times, before you can make up an opinion. I think it’s really pleasing to get good reviews of course….but I’m not that surprised….just happy with it!!”

But good critics and success is something different. What do you expect from the tour?

“I expect to get a lot of new fans…and maybe some new enemies…ha ha…..We’re a complex band, with a little special style, I think, and of course, the taste is different, everywhere. We’ll do uor best, and take things as they appear.”

Your music is hard to describe. There are so many different styles in it that make the songs interesting and you as a band special. How would you describe your music?

“It’s schizophrenic!! Elements from all the styles that I love listening to myself. Black, psychotic, atmospheric, power metal!”

When writing the texts: By what are you influenced?

“Don’t really know…some movies, some books, some reality…….a lot of sick things going on in my mind, but I’m not sure, where they come from.”

Just say why all the people should come to your concert or should buy the new album.

“Because we’re a band who gives all of ourselves, both when we’re in the studio, and on the stage. We use all our individual talents, to create the best musical experience we’re able to give you. ‘We’re 100% honest, and dedicated to what we do…..and we love to play in front of people.”

Thank you for that interview!

Thank you, too.

Internet: www.ram-zet.com