EPIC live performances?

Erik Erna

Sheriff Of T.S.G
Oct 22, 2004
Owl Farm
I was watching a video today of "Valhalla" by Blind Guardian from their 2004 DVD, and I realized this was one of the most epic live performances ever. A crowd who refuses to stop singing is just incredible.

You can literally see Hansi getting the proverbial hard on from this.

So, what can you guys think of?

(I just remembered that AMAZING live of Lethe as well)

I was watching a video today of "Valhalla" by Blind Guardian from their 2004 DVD, and I realized this was one of the most epic live performances ever. A crowd who refuses to stop singing is just incredible.

You can literally see Hansi getting the proverbial hard on from this.

So, what can you guys think of?

(I just remembered that AMAZING live of Lethe as well)

I have that DVD. That is, in fact, the best piece of Blind Guardian one can own. And Then There Was Silence on that DVD is also really amazing.

The best live performance I've seen was Moonspell in 2001. Holy fuck. Those guys don't fuck around.

Yeah, I have that BG DVD too, it's a masterpiece.

Others I can think of:
- DT WDIMA
- DT in Costa Rica
- The Gathering: A Sound Relief
- The Gathering: live in Tilburg (when I saw them).
- In Flames Used and Abused
- Kamelot: One Cold Winter's Night (perhaps better than BG's?)
- Cynic live (Toronto)
- Arch Enemy (Montréal)
- Dio (Costa Rica)
- Metallica (Costa Rica —they may totally suck now, but that was an excellent concert—).
- Heaven and Hell: LaRCMH

I'm not sure how everyone feels about symphonic metal. I listened to a lot of it, and most of the bands involved are kind of "meh." However, Within Temptation is awesome, and Black Symphony is one of the greatest live DVDs (and BDs) ever. Massive set, full orchestra, huge crowd.

Here's there performance of Mother Earth:

And probably the greatest FF vocal duet ever recorded, Somewhere:

I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention Nine Inch Nails (now discontinued) live shows. Reznor always wanted the old-fashioned light show effects from days past. Here's an example:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf_2o6GQz98&feature=related[/ame]

You have to watch it in HD to really get the effect. If you're not going to watch the whole thing, the really cool bit is just after the three minute mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Symphonic Metal (can't wait for new Therion), as well and female-fronted Sympho Goth. I really like After Forever, Dreams of Sanity and Elis (do notice my love for Sandra Schleret and Katarina Lilja). I was kind of frustrated with Within Temptation because they went too commercial with the newest album, so I never saw the live album. Stupid me, I've missed out a lot, now I'll go and buy it in Blu-Ray. I don't like NIN but it is a good video

Personally, I am a huge fan of Nightwish and Within Temptation. 'Mother Earth' is an epic fucking album, in it of itself.

She always sounded tone-deaf to me. Especially live. Its like all my favorite older Nightwish songs have Marco or Tuomas singing on them as well.

^ :p how true.

I forgot to add to the list 'Therion Gothic Kabbalah Tour'. How epic is it to see Snowy Shaw, Mats Leven and Therion's drummer do a drum solo together?

417952791_71e58d24bf.jpg

I'm into symphonic metal as well. Within Temptation is cool, but especially Nightwish for me. The Hartwall dvd is a great one, but especially moments with Marco or instrumental parts (eg the intro of Dark Chest of Wonders, Phantom of the Opera, Planet Hell, Ever Dream (I love Marco's scream at the beginning of the solo. And of course, Where Death Is Most Alive is quite epic. My favourites from that dvd are the opening with The Treason Wall, Punish My Heaven, The Mundane And The Magic and Terminus.

Speaking of Epic performances I have seen myself, the most epic would probably be Nightwish in Ahoy Rotterdam (front row with all the pyro effects is so amazing) or At The Gates at Graspop 2008. Really, At The Gates, haven't played for almost 15 years and then playing like that, respect!

Of all the bands I've seen live, three stand out as the top performers: Amon Amarth, Moonsorrow, and... obviously Dark Tranquillity. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Definitely. Even more, Tarja, as a solo artist, is awful. She did a cover of Alice (right? Poison?) and that was enough for me, never bothered to listen to anything else.

haha I didnt know tarja made a solo album...im happy i found out cuz poison was really funny. Terrible and embarassing, but funny. Though it makes me question if all music should be legal.

^ Hahaha indeed, some music should never be released (although that's entirely subjective, as Tarja has a bunch of fans —that apparently don't know what music is—). And yes, she has two albums:

Yhden Enkelin Unelma Single, 2004
One Angel's Dream Single, 2004
You Would Have Loved This Single, 2006
Henkäys Ikuisuudesta Full-length, 2006
I Walk Alone (Single Version) Single, 2007
I Walk Alone (artist version) Single, 2007
My Winter Storm Full-length, 2007
Die Alive Single, 2008
The Seer EP, 2008
Enough Single, 2009
Maailman Kauneimmat Joululaulut Single, 2009