Epica - Design Your Universe

I love the album. Been been listening to it quite a bit. I personally don't hear more growling vocals than their previous efforts. So if people are hesitant to buy the album because of that, they shouldn't. It seems to me their most confident album. Simone is even in more control of her voice.

this is my second favorite album from the pile o' cds I received for Christmas.

and it's definitely a step up IMO for Epica from the last album, which has received all of 2 and a half spins from me since I purchased it on release. *yawn*

IcedDog makes many of the same points I would be making about Design Your Universe, so I won't bore you all by repeating them. heh. Just know that it has already been played in my car stereo more times than the last album ever was. And I've owned it less than a week.

And Clay - I can't wait to see the Epica show in Feb here in Atlanta either. For more than one reason now, too. :cool:

So, whose going to see them at the Gramercy in NYC tonight? Dave, Michell, Matt and I will be there!

I'll be honest, up until this new album I never really "got" Epica. Yes, the talent was there, no question. But their songs over the years, for the most part, never really grabbed me and held me and gave me that "wow" feeling. This new album is one I liked very much from the outset. Not sure if the new musicians in the band had something to do with it or what (I haven't really kept tabs on who came and who went). In any event I look forward to finally having a chance to see Epica on their current tour and also plan on circling back to their previous releases to see if any of them click for me. Admittedly it has been awhile since I last gave any of them a chance.

Wow, show was awesome! I saw them a year or so ago headlining where they drew less than 100. Last night they PACKED the Gramercey (4-500?) Excellent sound. Excellent stage presence. Simone's singing appeared effortless, and oh, so beautiful. The new songs came across so well live. Wow, again. What a fun and exceptional show. Kudos to them for making so much progress and really putting on a super performance. Wish I could catch them again on this tour.

Sorry, I must confess I didn't catch 'em. Was at the Bull's Head Tavern until just before Epica. I've just grown so weary of bad opening bands that I won't take a chance w/o a recommendation. How well do you know PR's material? What's your opinion of them? I'll have to scout the warm-up bands better in the future, but I'm just so sick of the venues padding the lineup with crappy locals.

Sorry, I must confess I didn't catch 'em. Was at the Bull's Head Tavern until just before Epica. I've just grown so weary of bad opening bands that I won't take a chance w/o a recommendation. How well do you know PR's material? What's your opinion of them? I'll have to scout the warm-up bands better in the future, but I'm just so sick of the venues padding the lineup with crappy locals.

Well...I know the singer, for one. :)

Also, I have their album (which was available for sale at ProgPower two years ago!) and it's really very, very good. It's melodic prog metal, and you can really hear the band's greek influences in the music. This is NOT a band to overlook, IMO. Sadly, Theresa's vocals don't sound as strong as they could on the album, which is a shame. But that's the only drawback.

I was hoping someone here had caught them, since I've never been to NYC, and haven't yet gotten the opportunity to see them live. I was wondering how well they pulled off their material in a live setting.

Well...I know the singer, for one. :)

Also, I have their album (which was available for sale at ProgPower two years ago!) and it's really very, very good. It's melodic prog metal, and you can really hear the band's greek influences in the music. This is NOT a band to overlook, IMO. Sadly, Theresa's vocals don't sound as strong as they could on the album, which is a shame. But that's the only drawback.

I was hoping someone here had caught them, since I've never been to NYC, and haven't yet gotten the opportunity to see them live. I was wondering how well they pulled off their material in a live setting.

They weren't anything special. Not too proggy, songs were ok, singer wasn't anything special. I didn't care much, to be honest.

You've never been to NYC? Well, anytime you want to come out for a show, let me know. We'll hook you up and give you a tour of the city as well.

I'll track down some music from PR and give them a listen.

You've never been to NYC? Well, anytime you want to come out for a show, let me know. We'll hook you up and give you a tour of the city as well.

I'll track down some music from PR and give them a listen.

When I was younger and my parents took me on vacation all the time, for some reason they absolutely would NOT go to New York. I have no idea why. Currently, my vacationing days are mostly over (except for ProgPower). Not having any money sort of puts a damper on that. Which is a shame, because I have quite a few friends in NYC and surrounding areas that I'd really like to hang out with.

PR has a Myspace. http://www.myspace.com/phoenixreign Constantinople 1453 is my favorite track. It's also the epic track.

The only reason I asked how they did is because I knew they were playing the show with Epica, and Theresa (the singer) thought that the show went really well.

Also, how did Simone sound? I assume she's better after the whole staph infection issue.

When I was younger and my parents took me on vacation all the time, for some reason they absolutely would NOT go to New York. I have no idea why.

Also, how did Simone sound? I assume she's better after the whole staph infection issue.
Probably because of the level of crime back then. The city's been cleaned up considerably.

Simone sang beautifully. Just made it look effortless. She was utterly mesmerizing. o_O

So I picked up the new album, not really expecting much after the snooze-fest that was The Divine Conspiracy, and I have to say, I was very pleasantly suprised! This new album is absolutely fantastic! Epica has won me back with this album. :)

I think having a new drummer and guitar player helps. As much as I liked Ad and Jeroen, I think the two new musicians are much better at what they do. Isaac seems to have a much better, and cleaner grasp of guitar work, and Arien is a better drummer all-around that Jeroen. I've also noticed that the rhythms are more interesting, and the guitar solos tend to be better on this album. Actually, the MUSIC is just better.

And Simone's voice...WOW! She has improved by leaps and bounds! I notice a slight Floor Jansen quality to her voice, which in my book isn't a bad thing whatsoever. Her rock vocals are actually identifiable as rock vocals, and her operatic vocals are much more polished. Simone's versatility has improved greatly, and with Simone's vast improvements, and the two new musicians adding their style to the music, I fully expect this band to continue to moving up.

tl;dr - I really, really like the new album.

I really enjoy the new album as well! To be honest though, to me the one thing I really don't like is the solo's. I know everyone always got on them because they NEVER had guitar solo's in their song - and that was something the new guitarist brought to the table.

However, the solo's feel forced to me on this album. Like they're just there to be there. Ex. "People say we don't have solo's, lets put solo's in our songs". They just dont' feel natural with the song. I also think the lead guitar sound doesn't mesh well with the rhythm, so it feels even more forced (like recorded in 2 studios).
Still - it's a small complaint. Can't wait to see them Sunday! :headbang: