Epiphone

Mar 18, 2002
Visit site
Another guitar related thread...

I have thought of buying an new nice guitar beacause my J&D stratocoaster replicant just sucks...The mics are crap! I compared my quitar and a Squire and the Squire just kicked J&D my to %¤/&#%!

I just love the Gibson SG design! Its the nicest looking guitar I have ever seen but its not cheap you know.
I saw a guitar named Epiphone which was exactly as a Gibson SG but just much cheaper and less good ofcourse.

Is this a good alternative for a thin wallet? Either that Epiphone or a boring Squire that sounds good and is really cheap.

But I must have that SG design! but I dont want a crappy copy...

Epiphone's can be good, but you need to play a bunch of them to find a good one. Gibson/Epiphone have some of the worst quality control of any guitar maker. If the SG is your cup of tea, might I suggest the carvin dc127 or dc150, both of which you can configure like an SG, using all mahogony construction. Plus, the carvin's are neck through which gives you more sustain.

Carvin's site

epiphone sucks. period. try to find anything else. i had an epiphone flying vee once and i had to get rid of it at once because they suck too much. and the pickups sound like mud. then again, i'm not crazy about gibsons either...

epiphone is part of the gibson company so it isn't just a copy.

epiphone isn't too good, but i guess its alright for a begginer

i personally think that the sg is fuckin ugly...i like the les paul much better

Epiphone's are crap, really I'm not shitting you, they feel and play like a plastic guitar. Now if you are a begginer there are plenty of quality instruments in the price range of an epiphone...

Fender Mexican Strats
LTD model guitars
Ibanez RG's and S series
Shecter

Please do yourself a favor and dont waste your money on an epiphone.

I'm playing a ESP EX-350 Explorer,trust me ESPs are the best guitars in the world.I've played a Gibson 67's Flying and a Epiphone Korina Explorer and they aren't as good as an ESP.Especially Epiphone sucked...

i wanted an esp but they were too expensive for me...the higher end ltd models were pretty good, but i liked the ibanez's better...the rg's have awesome necks. pickups ain't great but i'll replace them after i while

Ofcourse a Epiphone sucks compared to a real Gibson SG model but if you compare it to a Squire???

I found it hard to believe that Gibson has crappy quality on the market beacause its Gibson. They must have some quality...and hopefully they are careful about their good reputation (spelling?)

Gibson don't need to carefull about their reputation. They are an american company and people will buy a gibson even if it's shit just to have a gibson. Same with fender.

An epiphone is to a gibson what a squire is to fender.

Trust me, you are probably better of buying an ibanez or something like that if you are serious about learning to play. A good guitar that plays well will be better for you than a guitar that will limit your playing and desire to play.

I have had an Epiphone Les Paul for like 5years .... and it´s really a good guitar if you replace the pickups ... sure it will cost you 300 dollars extra but i think it´s worth it ... i don´t know maybe i am wrong but i think you should get one if you like the sound and the look ... but be careful :headbang:

Gibson don't need to carefull about their reputation. They are an american company and people will buy a gibson even if it's shit just to have a gibson. Same with fender.

I think you have wrong about that.

Gibson has developed a good reputation beacause they have made good quality guitars over many many years. If they start making shit their reputation will go down and down...

BC Riches are about the shittiest guitars money can buy. Sure, some of them look cool, but I've never played a guitar shittier than this BC Rich Warlock. plays like crap it does. I have an ESP v-350 and its a sweet deal.

blasphemy! you probably played a bronze series guitar or something. i agree that those particular guitars are pure crap. but the nj's and especially any custom made bc rich are VERY good quality guitars, at a low price. the factory pickups are also way better then most other factory pick ups. as for playability, to each his own i guess. i think all bc riches i have tried plays perfectly. and since you own an esp v-350 and all, you should try a jr.v supreme bc rich. they sound better and it's lighter. plays great. why do you think the majority of metal guitarists use bc rich??? (slayer, cannibal corpse, morbid angel, obituary, sepultura, dimmu borgir etc...)