EQ on ambient mics

GGI - I'm assuming DFH2 is very similar to orig DFH in that you have the room samps and the close samps and then you need to use battery or halion, etc.

DFHS has its own engine, and with the 1.5.3 its apeshit good and solid even as a rewire in Sonar which tends to not like rewire so much. That TPC (on the fly compression within the streaming) and 16bit mode is friggin genius.

My thoughts on the matter are that they (the dfhs doodz) meticulously recorded all of those samples in a VERY GOOD SOUNDING room.. meaning, probably no need for EQ on the ambient mics. I do like to compress the fuck out of them though. =)

So, having not heard the DFH2 stuff, I'm not sure what is necessary, or if there is a "ballpark" guideline for that. As far as my ears tell me, the room and oh mics in DFHS are fucking superb, but I did pick up a rad tip (on this forum) about highpassing the OH mics around 650-750hz to remove some kit pieces you dont want to hear in there.

I usually do not EQ the ambient mic when I use DFH2, I just turn it down a lot and filter verything below like 740Hz or so out, works great. With DFH2, it's better to just get a more direct sound, since it's not as complex as Superior. Superior is a different story when it comes to the ambience, IMO. I also squash the ambient mic in Superior with a compressor like the Waves RComp like Ether, sounds great that way.

Ether, if you've heard any of my clips with drums in them, they were DFH2. I haven't posted anything here that I have used Superior on, I reserve that for more serious projects since the production quality is much better. DFH2 is better for doing little demos and scratch recordings just to hear what the song will sound like, etc.

~006