Ambient mics and samples

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
This is a question that sometimes jump out of my mind.
How do you deal with ambient mics when you use soundreplacing? I mean, when you use a sample on kick and snare, also if you mix samples with miced tracks, you can notice that the sound of the ambient tracks have another snare and kick sound.
Moreover with Trigger now, we can use easily room samples directly when you trigger.
Do you bother about this or do you simply find a balance between ambient tracks and soundreplaced tracks?

It's right. If you produce an album you can also record samples from the actual drumkit and use them to replace, maybe processing them before.
But what about the big producers, that use always their set of plugins or steven slate samples (jens bogren for example)?

if it sounds good it is good.

Try it with trigger.
Use a z1 sample of the black snare and the room/oh samples of the chilli snare...

Different snares that work great together....

I mostly try to archive a good but real sounding drum tone, thats why I´ll try to find samples that sound near the real drums...

Andy Wallace for exemple use sample remplacement for triger the verb (verb send only on sample remplaced track) so with this technic you can have a main snare and a tottaly different snare on verb. Great technic for layering btw.

I find, if anything, this makes the drum sounds more interesting, if anything!

and like gabriel said about mixing and matching slate snares and rooms, i've always, always done that. it just sounds awesome!

i usually end up compressing the room mics quite a bit anyhow, so the snare is really nothing more than a long sustained kind of sound in the mix, barely audible but adds a sense of space, depth and 3D-ness (speaking of REAL mic'ed up drums and a mic'ed up room).

Yeah..exactly what I tought.
Anyway, if you use Trigger, do you use also the snare room sample in conjunction with the room tracks?

Yes! But, depending on the project and music, just a little bit. On the record I'm wrapping up right now Im using a Z1 sample with a litttle bit of an SSD Room along side with it (i think its down to like -9db) without it, the snare is kind of dry and lacks depth, but when you add just that tiny bit in, it instantly opens up and, to me, sounds more interesting.

This is all in the same instance of Trigger, mind you.

Back before Trigger, I used to do the same thing but with two instances of aptrigga. One on the snare for my main sample and on as an FX track with some SSD Room samples loaded into aptrigga, which I sent the snare to and blended to taste.