EQing QUAD Tracked Guitars

So the last two bands I have Recorded, we decided to do quad tracking. I started mixing one of them yesterday and what I started to do was EQ all four tracks seperately.

EX.
GTR L-I would push some Mids and Cut what I boosted from the OD

GTR L OD-I would cut the mids that I boosted from the other guitar and add some High Mids

And I would pretty much do the same thing for the Right side as well.

I am curious to how you guys decide to handle your EQ for quad tracking guitars.

I'll try explain how I process my guitars when quad tracking.

Right = Panned 100
Right = Panned 75
Left = Panned 100
Left = Panned 75

ALL:
Hi pass to 80
Low pass to 10k
Small cut at 400
Small boost at 6k

Send all your left guitars to a bus of their own - easier control over volume
Send all your right guitars to a bus of their own - ^^^
Send all guitars to master guitar bus

On master guitar bus i may do a little multiband compression, few more cuts in the mids maybe and boosts in high end for clarity and to cut through the mix.

Its hard to give a direct answer on how to EQ quad tracked guitars as their all different.

Maybe try slightly different amp settings on the far Right and far Left guitar

Hope this helps a little

I group the tracks by amp, which is usually a 6505 and something else. I eq the amp groups to get the tones where I want and then send each amp group to another rhythm guitar group and EQ to taste there as well (if needed).

I'll try explain how I process my guitars when quad tracking.

Right = Panned 100
Right = Panned 75
Left = Panned 100
Left = Panned 75

ALL:
Hi pass to 80
Low pass to 10k
Small cut at 400
Small boost at 6k

Send all your left guitars to a bus of their own - easier control over volume
Send all your right guitars to a bus of their own - ^^^
Send all guitars to master guitar bus

On master guitar bus i may do a little multiband compression, few more cuts in the mids maybe and boosts in high end for clarity and to cut through the mix.

Its hard to give a direct answer on how to EQ quad tracked guitars as their all different.

Maybe try slightly different amp settings on the far Right and far Left guitar

Hope this helps a little

wery similar for what i do,
the major EQ ing i do on the tracks itself separately, somethimes i put an eq on the L and one on the R guitar bus just to glue a little bit

I group the tracks by amp, which is usually a 6505 and something else. I eq the amp groups to get the tones where I want and then send each amp group to another rhythm guitar group and EQ to taste there as well (if needed).

This - I'm really not into the whole "different tones on each side" thing (which includes different processing per side), tends to throw off the stereo image for me.

This - I'm really not into the whole "different tones on each side" thing (which includes different processing per side), tends to throw off the stereo image for me.

This. I would tend to buss my 75% tracks together and the 100% together rather than the L side in one and the R side in another. With DIs and most guitar recording all your levels are the same to start with, so you don't really need to balance L and R.

Also this if im using two different amps.

And as someone mentioned, I'll do all the major tweaks to each guitar on their own track and minor boosts/cuts on the busses