EQing questions

ptgeek911

Nov 7, 2006
Hey guys, relatively new to this board. Had a few questions. I havee been trying to get rid of that "shhhhhhhh" sound when eqing guitars. What frequencies should I be cutting? Im trying to seperate 2 rhythm guitars and a lead, and it just sounds like noise? What eqing techniques you guys got for me?

I usually notch at 2.3K (this area really hurts my ears) and notch again somewhere between 7K and 9K. I may roll off above 7.5 K but not often.

Yeah Keiffer is on the ball. The sound you're looking for could be anywhere between 2 to 3.5k. An excess of 2k can be really fatiguing. Killing 3.5k will let the rest of the mix breathe more... the guitars will sound less full-on and you'll even get some drums through.

the thing about 2.3K for me is that until I notch it, I don't realize how bad it is. but once it's out, it's like the tone has a much nicer feel.

I haven't played much with 3.5K... I'll try that soon.

Hey guys, relatively new to this board. Had a few questions. I havee been trying to get rid of that "shhhhhhhh" sound when eqing guitars. What frequencies should I be cutting? Im trying to seperate 2 rhythm guitars and a lead, and it just sounds like noise? What eqing techniques you guys got for me?
Post a sample.

I think that the nasty frequencies depend a lot on the cab/amp/guitar etc, but usually in my recordings it's been 2.5, 3.5 or 4.5 . Basically between 2-5. Sometimes I have to cut from a lot of places with a narrow q. I often also end up cutting @ 300-500 hz to get rid of that nasal/boxy sound. Lowpass: What Keiffer said.

I think that the nasty frequencies depend a lot on the cab/amp/guitar etc, but usually in my recordings it's been 2.5, 3.5 or 4.5 . Basically between 2-5. Sometimes I have to cut from a lot of places with a narrow q. I often also end up cutting @ 300-500 hz to get rid of that nasal/boxy sound. Lowpass: What Keiffer said.
probably to some degree, but I end up notching pretty much the same way regardless of amp and cab.

I sometimes have to cut both 2,5khz and 3,5 khz. sometimes even 10khz.

i sometimes don't notice these frequencies until it comes to mastering and then I go back and notch these frequencies out. But do you guys ever find that your 18 or 20" crashes need a bit of 2/3 k notched out as well??? I'm wondering if this is a room thing or if it's not an uncommon thing.

My room sounds pretty good now that I've put up 2.5" mineral wool wrapped in burlap and some shelves but I still find when i go to master i have to much of that region in both my guitars and crashes?

whats a narrow q to you guys?

Like waves q10 with q on 100?

Just curious but yea i do this with my snare (notching freq out) and its crazy to mute and un-mute after cutting some annoying freq and realize how bad they really were to begin with. Ive messed with guitar like this also cause i hate that shhhhhh sound and i always seem to end up with it on my guitars I record.

good question im wondering also

Like waves q10 with q on 100?

Just curious but yea i do this with my snare (notching freq out) and its crazy to mute and un-mute after cutting some annoying freq and realize how bad they really were to begin with. Ive messed with guitar like this also cause i hate that shhhhhh sound and i always seem to end up with it on my guitars I record.

I think a Q is too narrow when it sounds too artificially EQ'd - this will depend also on the amount you're cutting, but if I sweep the notch up and down the frequency range and it sounds like I'm opening and closing a car window, I'll be very cautious with it.

Jeff

Think in terms of octaves. A Q of 1.2 is 1 octave wide. That means the frequencies a 1/2 octave below and a 1/2 octave above what's dialed in on the Frequency knob are affected.

1 octave is wide, for sweetening. Once you start getting into 1/2 octave (Q of 2.4) and below, you're getting into notching.