Guitar track processing ideas

Digamma

New Metal Member
Jan 24, 2006
Hi,
Since this is a hard topic to search for, i was hoping to gather some ideas from everybody, maybe suggestions/techniques from Andy that u guys might remember, or some new ones!
I was wondering what Andy does to the guitar tracks after they are tracked. Besides panning, the C4 preset or similar for getting the lowend under control, and maybe some eq, what else do you guys do to improve heavy guitars?
Im finding my guitars lack that "Big in your face sound" when i bring them in to the mix. Specially when there are more tracks involved.
Compression, Limiting, Enhancers, Buss eqing, individual eqing, could be a few possibilities.
Any ideas?

I think the tracking itself is pretty much where it's at for a good guitar sound.
With the exception of maybe some EQ (or narrow band compression) to tame the low end, you shouldn't need to do much more. That is at least my interpretation, as well as my experience.

Metalhead28 said:
I think the tracking itself is pretty much where it's at for a good guitar sound.
With the exception of maybe some EQ (or narrow band compression) to tame the low end, you shouldn't need to do much more. That is at least my interpretation, as well as my experience.

I agree.

If you use the right guitar, amp, mic, and preamp for the project, you shouldn't need to do much else.

The only time I'd EQ is if two instruments were fighting...but the only instrument I've found that will really fight with the guitar is the bass. I don't think I've ever had a problem with the guitars and drums running into each other. Generally I just EQ the bass though, and leave the guitar as natural and untouched as possible.

I do usually high pass the guitars to get rid of that rumbling low end and then low pass to get rid of just a bit of the fuzz at the top.