More C4 guitar tracking questions etc..

Thanks for all the opinions! Makes sense to maximize vesatility during mix by recording each mic to its own track.

I was under the impression that Andy likes to use 2 SM57's.. ?

In regards to eq'ing, I think we were going to use a Sony Oxford plug in Pro Tools. I believe our only piece of outboard gear will be an 1176 on the vocals. Pre's will belong to the Digi002.

Does anyone have any advice or preferences to which software EQ's they prefer or reccomend? We are going for a full on tight VHT and Boogie driven guitar sound. ( we have both heads and boogie cabs ) As someone mentioned, and I agree, get max EQ naturally to ensure less processing later.. but never the less EQ is often needed after the fact.

Barnyard said:
Does anyone have any advice or preferences to which software EQ's they prefer or reccomend? We are going for a full on tight VHT and Boogie driven guitar sound. ( we have both heads and boogie cabs ) As someone mentioned, and I agree, get max EQ naturally to ensure less processing later.. but never the less EQ is often needed after the fact.

I would assume by "Boogie" you're speaking of a MK series amp? I don't find recto's particularly tight.

Nope, old school Dual Recto single channel or a newer Dual 3 channel. Im pretty sure the VHT will do the majority of the work, we also have a 5150. Agreed, Boogies are champions of hiding small nuances. But they do have a crushing sound.

Barnyard said:
Nope, old school Dual Recto single channel or a newer Dual 3 channel. Im pretty sure the VHT will do the majority of the work, we also have a 5150. Agreed, Boogies are champions of hiding small nuances. But they do have a crushing sound.

I actually like the dual recto, but I just find it to be at the opposite end of the "tightness" spectrum as the VHT's. They'll probably sound excellent together.

I agree with TheStoryteller... besides, take it from Nas:

"Yo, all I need is one mic, one beat, one stage
One nigga front, my face on the front page "

NOJE-23s42-nas-41.jpg

Knowhatimsayin beeeyatch???!!

Me and my friends used to joke about how he also needed a fucking recording studio and a label and a music video and countless other things but he appearantly didn't need talent so good for him. :D

for what its worth guys, we use anywhere from two to four mics here at the studio and buss them down to one track once we get a sound we like. i like to think that my initial settings are good enough for the final which they usually are. we started using the c4 to get the low mids out of the guitars because it really helped us to get our mix louder without crackling or overloading because of excessive bottom end (i hate the pressure to deliver loud mixes when they arent needed with a passion and despise how overcompressed most metal mixes are, not excluding some of our own). we more or less used the c4 out of necessity, not necessarily for better tone. but i do like the results.