EQing clean guitars?

XoechZ

New Metal Member
Aug 14, 2010
Austria
www.xoechz.at
Hello!

I have read much here about EQing hi-gain rhythm and lead guitars. I understand the basic concepts of low-passing and hi-passing them and I already get a quite good sound.

But what about clean guitars? I mean clean electric sounds. This typical 80's metal ballad clean sound. How is EQ used on these?

Thanks for suggestions.

XoechZ

i guess it really depends on a variation of things:

mic/di ?

processing/no processing ?

a lot of the time, adding a chorus can brighten up mid-high frequencies while subduing some lower frequencies.

i personally believe; filter everything! (hp/lp)

the only real way you are going hear the sound you are looking for is if you experiment with some equalizers.

i would recommend an outboard eq to achieve a true linear phase distortion. (pulteq)

most eq plug-ins do not offer unique filters like baxandall/gerzon ...that may help to achieve a specific sound.

on the other hand, if you don't have access to this type of gear ...plug-ins are fairly accurate.

For the 80's ballad clean sound... high pass...you don't care about those lows. Boost the highs (but that really depends on the recorded sound). Compression is a must. As well as some chorus and reverb. I'm all about 80's. ;)

Are you after a clean sound like this? (song of mine I posted around here some time ago) Changes

Cleans generally take high boosts better than distorted guitars. Try a nice high-shelf, and then poke around the mids to get rid of the mandatory cab cloudiness. After that make sure there aren't any low-end resonances that will conflict with the bass guitar, and set the high pass filter to taste. Also be mindful of the 3kHz region and how it interacts with the vocals. If there is a clash, the vocals should come out on top, always.

^Good point that I forgot to mention just because it's second nature to me...single coils or a coil split humbucker really shine in this department.

Wow, thanks to all for your answers. Very useful.

I have no Strat or Tele but my Ibanez Jem has a single coil in the middle. Next time I will try it with this one.

Thanks,

XoechZ

With a split-coil it's fuckn amazing!

+1 To that. In my clip above, I use my Ibby RG550 with SD SH12 coil split on the left, and Hellraiser EMG 81TW coil tapped on the right (of course, with various processing). Anytime I have humbuckers, I'll always install a coil split switch if possible.