Need impulses for clean guitar?

azsamsancho

New Metal Member
May 3, 2008
Hi guys,

I have been reading a lot this forum and have been collecting all the cab impulses. I must say they sound amazing for distorted guitars!! Right now, however, I am working on a song which is all clean guitar, typical Fender tone. None of these impulses sound good. I mean they sound like shi* when inserted into a clean guitar track.

Maybe you can give me some advice. Can you explain this to me. When bands record albums in studio, do they use Cabs at all or do they mic the amp only. Imagine we are talking about a typical fender clean sound, or say Eric Clapton and his strat...

I guess my question is for recording clean guitars should i use cab impulses? I have a PODXT live and it gives me an OK tone, but I still cannot get that typical nice warm fender tone with nice spring reverb.

didn't the simulanalog suite that contained the jcm900 emulator also contain a fender clean amp sim? I think it did...

edit -
yup fender twin; give it a shot yo (record direct, use it for amp/cab sim; probably need to compress a lot to handle spikes): http://www.simulanalog.org/

now I want to record some cleans, thanks a lot.

In fact, I run my dry signal to an amp sim (Aradaz Crunch or BTE's Juicy77 with cab disabled) and with KefIR or Boogex + this impulse (I've also tried the Vibrolux that Brohymn posted on GAM too and it is very cool... look for it !) and some post processing ( for me: comp, eq, choruses, reverb or delays...). Do it and you should be happy with your clean tone! :kickass:

Sorry, I'm at work right now :puke:
And I'm mixing my stuff yet so, for now, no clips... all my time is going to take the damn bleed out of my drums... :yuk::yuk:

Sorry, I'm at work right now :puke:
And I'm mixing my stuff yet so, for now, no clips... all my time is going to take the damn bleed out of my drums... :yuk::yuk:

seems like u busy at work :D Kidding.. could you please, please do a 1 min clip track and do ur magic so we can hear your clean fender tone. I am sure you have to tweak that BTE's Juicy77 application you mentioned.. so if you have any recommended settings for it that would help too. For example using boogex for impulses you must turn everything to 0 to get the real ipuse sound. So if for the BTE's Juicy77 you have to do something like that we would like to know :)

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=168af2ebd041922fab1eab3e9fa335ca59c0f5b4a60f9801

Hre it goes man... the clip was made using Aradaz Crunch (sorry but I don't have any with Juicy now !). It needs some eq, but I think you can feel the sound. I like it !:loco:

Hi jacare,

thanks for posting this sample. Although not bad, I can't say I am impressed. I do not like how the bass notes sound on the sample. So I played around last night and I am convinced I am not gonna get perfect fender tone using dry gtr, amp sim of some sort, and an impulse... So I guess for cleans, I am stuck using whatever i can get with my POD. For distortion guitars tho, is another story, adding an impulse makes the sound so powerful and realistic.

BTW, the sound I am after is this (listen to the intro riff where it is only guitar..):

Another problem is that i don't have a strat but an LP (that's a whole different topic there).

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, the sound I am after is this (listen to the intro riff where it is only guitar..):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idGePD4md-s

Another problem is that i don't have a strat but an LP (that's a whole different topic there).

Ahm... as I said, the tone needs work ! It is not perfect, and I agree it is not a :OMG: tone. And, you CAN be sure that you won't have a strato sound using an Les Paul :heh: .
My intention was to post a impulse that works with clean tones... for my taste, it works ! Sorry if it didn't helped you. Anything new, I'll let you know.

I know. I do have a Squier 51, tho. I am still to take it out and see what I can get with it. It is very roughly build and stuff so I dont play it. but I am gonna try it tonight with impulses. Thanks! foryour guidance, jacare. Much appreciated!

I know. I do have a Squier 51, tho. I am still to take it out and see what I can get with it. It is very roughly build and stuff so I dont play it. but I am gonna try it tonight with impulses. Thanks! foryour guidance, jacare. Much appreciated!

Man, I'm glad if I could be of any help for you. You are welcome ! :kickass:

I have been reading a lot this forum and have been collecting all the cab impulses. I must say they sound amazing for distorted guitars!! Right now, however, I am working on a song which is all clean guitar, typical Fender tone. None of these impulses sound good. I mean they sound like shi* when inserted into a clean guitar track.

that is because the mic position for overdrive of any amount is different from the mic positions for clean sounds, the impulses were created for optimal high gain sounds

Maybe you can give me some advice. Can you explain this to me. When bands record albums in studio, do they use Cabs at all or do they mic the amp only. Imagine we are talking about a typical fender clean sound, or say Eric Clapton and his strat...

the mic their amps, at least bands that use amps and not sims, a lot of bands still record in pure analog studios and sims are not possible unless its an XT, X3, Axefx etc are being used directly into the board. they dial around with teh mic positioning for their clean sound, mic that, and then use either another cab or mic for the other sound, then automate the tracks. When you see pics of their micing positions they can and usually have 4+ mics on one speaker. Or they record all their dirties and then when they are done with all of that they record cleans with the new mic position. Some though will use sims and effects for some things. Running direct guitars with DIs, modelers direct, whatever works.

I guess my question is for recording clean guitars should i use cab impulses? I have a PODXT live and it gives me an OK tone, but I still cannot get that typical nice warm fender tone with nice spring reverb.

find clean collection impulses, Revavler has them, so other impulses have to be around somewhere. try running completely direct and add some eq for the sound you want, if you don't like your sound, then its your guitar or your lack of eq experience.

some advice on direct guitars. Add light compression, it helps sustain and backs down the dynamics enough to have a solid sound, uncompressed volumes sway too much and they can be hard to hear or too loud, and good compression will help the tone sparkle. Add reverb, it is a must you need some room that you are missing from micing. you can add more to make it sound obvious, which i like with cleans, they need to be ambient so hearing a slight reverb trail is really good. Some guitarist like using chorus, not my cup of tea but you can add some slight chorus and then mix up your wet signal so that the tone sounds thicker and warmer without the chorus being noticeable and if you want it noticeable you can up it up to your desire.