Eric Peterson Interview w/ Rock Confidential

Dude, you're in Sweden right now! What's goin' on?

It's really cool, actually. I'm looking out the window and it's fuckin' snowing like a mofo! I like it cuz the vocal booth I'm doing my vocals in for the Dragonlord record has a window and it's so fucking cool to look out and see the water and the snow. But, the producer's not here goddammit! I'd like to sing some black metal right now!

So it sounds like you're staying busy.

Yeah, pretty good I guess. We're a little behind but we've got the drums and the guitars done. We're moving on to some atmospheric keyboards and bass.

Any idea on when that will be out?

We're looking at maybe a Fall release, maybe sooner.

There's just been some classic Testament footage released on DVD for the first time. How much participation did the band have with the Seen Between The Lines release?

We're definitely glad it's out there on the DVD format. It's something we wanted to do for a really long time. The whole VHS thing is kinda lame. There's some bonus Japanese footage on there that wasn't seen anywhere but Japan. It's cool because we didn't have it planned but we're doing a reunion tour. In May we're doing nine shows in Europe with Alex, Greg, and Louie. It came at a pretty cool time.

That's a big subject in itself. I'm stoked it's happening, but it's in Europe!

Well, Europe's got festivals and it's just a normal thing here. They're very organized with it. It's like going to Ozzfest but it's more laid back, not so controlled. They'll set up a tent out in the middle of the country and they'll have big stages. It's like going to the Renaissance Fair but with music. It's really cool. I really wish they had something like that in the states that wasn't as commercial as Ozzfest where half the bands are paying to be on it. The other half are kissing someone's ass to be on it! Over here they've got so many festivals that you could go see any cool band, really.

There are rumors flying that some killer established bands that have been around a while will be on Ozzfest this year. I've heard a reunited Testament is supposed to take part.

Hmm. I don't think so. Hmm. I've been stuck in the snow here and I just found out about an hour ago that you were going to call! I'm so lost in this music that I haven't really been keeping up with other things.

So, what happens if these nine reunion shows blow everyone away? What then?

Hopefully we're all blown away and we...I told Chuck when we were working on our new record that it's hard to get into it because we've gone through so many different members. We've had members where I've thought 'This is it!' and then someone leaves, we'll get a new member and I'll think, 'OK, this is it!' I'm at the point now, I haven't told Chuck, if we do another record I'd rather have the original lineup. Even if they just did the record and we did some festivals, that would be the way to go. That's just the way I'm feeling right now. I'm sure we can...we're actually getting ready to ...last Summer we worked with Metal Mike from Halford and he's amazing. He's really good. He would be cool to work with. I talked to Alex (Skolnick) before I left to come out here. I told him I though it was time for us to fucking get together and do a record. I didn't know what he was gonna say. He kinda went, 'Yeah, I think so!' He told me, 'I'm playing rock again!' I told him, 'Cool, man! I'm playing black metal! Let's put those two together and see what happens.' I think the original lineup is definitely the band.

If an Ozzfest situation presented itself...

Yeah, that's a very big thing to do. It would be different if we inquired about it and tried to buy into it. I wouldn't be into that. If they wanted Testament I would definitely be into that. That's just my opinion. Chuck doesn't really like to tour that much anymore. Again, it was Chuck's idea to put this reunion together! He just said..we had this long conversation and he said, (in a deep Chuck-type voice) 'I'm not touring anymore' and a week later he says 'We're going on tour.' Woah! Killer!

All nine shows are back-to-back, right?

Yeah. And we're supposed to come back over here in July. Hopefully this works out. I never thought we should all move into the same town and just focus on Testament. I don't think that would be the way to do it. Let's just meet up, get together for a couple of weeks and record something, and maybe book some big shows for a couple of weeks in the States and do Japan and Europe. It would be more special, too. It would be more fun for us rather than being on the road for two or three months. We don't really need to break ourselves anymore. We've got our cult following and we are who we are.

When will you start rehearsals for the May shows?

The middle of April. I'll be home in about three weeks, take a week off and then I'll get in there and start on the set.

What will the setlist be like?

Management keeps calling me up and asking what the set is. It's always been me first. I'll write out a list and Chuck will maybe change a couple of songs and Alex will throw 'em right back in. We're definitely be doing a lot of the older stuff. I don't think we'll be playing anything from Gathering and Low, maybe. We'll see. I definitely want to do some stuff that we haven't done in a while, like "The Ballad." That's a really cool song to do live, the way it builds up. Maybe some crazy stuff we've never played before like "Seven Days Of May" off of Souls Of Black.

It keeps sounding more and more like I need to book a flight to Europe in May!

You might wanna look into that. I mean Anthrax is doing something with Belladonna again and that's pretty cool. They even got Dan Spitz. Joey, Frankie, and everybody. That to me is Anthrax. I like John Bush's voice a lot but I actually like him better with Armored Saint. Anthrax Among The Living and Spreading The Disease are killer. You can't really replace a singer. Some bands get lucky, like Van Halen, but they went in a totally different direction.

Yeah, they tried it again with Gary Cherone and it totally bombed!

Yeah! Then you've got bands like Black Sabbath who had Dio. That was cool. To me, if Chuck didn't want to do it anymore I would not get anybody else. Chuck's such a big part of Testament. Well, unless Dio wanted to sing with me. I've got the Dio riffs, shit! I'll hook him up. I'll show him how he's supposed to do it! (laughs)

How long will your set be for the reunion gigs?

Anywhere from 50 to 60 minutes, maybe a little more. If we do some headlining shows, maybe an hour and a half. Solid Testament. The last time we played together we could not play "Over The Wall," we just couldn't thrash anymore. Maybe because of Louie, his playing kinda went downhill. I talked to him recently and he's been playing again. He's excited to play that stuff again. Metallica went through that phase. Lars could not fucking play their old shit. I saw 'em about a year ago and they played their first four records. Lars just tore it up, so maybe sometimes you just go through a rut. I'm excited to play our heavy shit again like "Over The Wall," "Alone In The Dark," "Burnt Offerings," and "New Order." With the original lineup that's going to be killer.

You've gotta be pretty fired up just going into the rehearsals.

Yeah, it's gonna be a lot of fun.

We just talked about the new DVD and I noticed there are a few "bootleg" DVDs on the Testament website. Are those from the band's archives?

Yeah, it's our personal stuff. We've got stuff from every show. We'll go, 'Remember the Country Club in '89?' That's the next one that's coming out, the Country Club in LA. That's a killer show. I just edited that before I left. What's cool about the bootlegs is we don't just get the tape and burn it onto DVD. We sit down and spend some money with an editing company and mark the edits and try to make a pretty cool menu. The Tilburg show that's up now has a slideshow and a loop of a girl screaming 'Testament!' It's cool but it gets a little annoying. If you fall asleep you'll wake up to a girl screaming 'Testament!' over and over. It's like, 'Alright, already!' It's cool for the fans. It's not retail material, but neither was the Blair Witch project. Those DVDs are our Blair Witch, bitch! (laughs)

Where do you think metal is best received? Would it be Europe because of the opportunities you have there?

Yeah, for our kind of music. Definitely. Look at the bands that we've influenced and they do really good here. Bands like Soilwork, Arch Enemy, In Flames, Meshuggah...the kind of bands that took off where we left off. They took it and made it really killer and more polished. A lot of the American bands, I think we've always been more of a European style band as far as our influences. Mercyful Fate, Thin Lizzy, Maiden, Sabbath. Those are all European bands. To answer your question, it's definitely Europe. There are at least 20 big festivals in the Summer that are equal to Ozzfest. Shit, the US only has one. Another reason that it's so easy out here is because the US has so many different types of people. There's a lot of security issues in America. Like the Sweden Rock Festival in Sweden is all Swedes. Maybe some Germans come over. They're like, 'We're all Swedish and we're all cool with each other.' (laughs) In the US there are all kinds of people. Does that make sense?

Perfect sense, totally. What would you like to say to your fans?

Thanks for all the support over these years. Metal forever! We're gonna be putting stuff out. Sorry we're taking so long but it will totally be worth the wait. We'll be thrashing titans!

Cool, man. Thanks for taking the time for this. Now you can go do whatever I took you away from.

Yeah, I'm gonna go wake up my keyboard player and get him to fucking play this part right! (laughs)

Interesting to read Eric's comments and this obviously contradicts the earlier released press statement that said John Tempesta would be on Drums cos according to Eric it is Loui back in, thus making it a true 100% reformation! Oh and too see a show made up totally of songs from the first 5 albums will be awesome. All I've ever wanted is to see Electric Crown performed live with Alex ripping that solo out \m/ !!!

Great to hear from Eric and to get a few updates. The one thing that concerns me about this interview is when Eric said, "I think the original lineup is definitely the band". It would be awesome to have Alex Skolnick back in the band but if Louie Clemente plays the drums on the new album that will be a huge letdown to us fans. A six year wait for a new album with Louie Clemente playing on the drums just doesn't cut it. I want Paul Bostaph hammering the drums on the upcoming album.

Keep it tight!

Basically, it sounds like Eric has run out of riffs and has dug up the most convenient excuse. This is really sad to me. I've been waiting almost 6 years for a new Testament album, and now I have to read this lame news report to find out that the album is not finished, not recorded, and not even written. Hopefully, Chuck still has some wind in his pipes after all this and can take his vocal talents elsewhere.

And as already mentioned, Louie Clemente was a mediocre drummer at the top of his game, so one can only imagine how subpar his playing will be after being out of the game for so long. Alex and Greg? I'm sure they're fine. But this whole story just pisses me off.

I agree with Lykorian...

Add to that, if you take out Steve DiGiorgio, that's another letdown!

But I think Eric is just speaking his own opinion and this won't really happen, unless Testament just decides to do this step and stop their tours completely after the short reunion tour, cuz Alex will definitely not to be able to make it through the rest of the dates, cuz he has his own projects going on.

Testament has really no option but to leave the current drummer+bassist in the fold, otherwise we are going to witness many many changes.... IMO

Chuck Billy should just be the new singer for Exodus, at least they have their shit together. I am so against the original lineup and having Louie back. And he says they won't play shit off the Gathering and Low?! Is he kidding, the Gathering is the definitive Testament album. I wish the band would stop dicking us around because it's not fair. Testament isn't even a band anymore, they play a few festival shows a year and that's it. There's no excuse for no new music in so long, especially after how incredible The Gathering was. That interview doesn't sound like there's anything good in the future, guess we'll just have to look forward to more bootleg videos, the only new shit they can release.

Looks like we'll wait for the new record a little more- that's definitely sad news.
Good to hear from Eric nevertheless and I'm fucking happy Lou will do the mini tour with them. That's a reunion!! As for the original line-up recording an album together again... FUCK YES and HELL YES... even if that means only occasional tours. Keep releasing as many records as possible- there have been a lot of tours already!
The thing that makes me wonder is Eric's general lack of enthusiasm when he's talking about TestAmenT.. I get the feeling Dragonlord's becoming too important...or maybe I just got the wrong impression from this interview.
About bringing back the long-absent songs like "The Ballad" or fucking "Seven Days Of May"(!!!)- that would rule and I'm all for it- they should make some surprises in the set lists instead of playing the same classics over and over again..
As for not playing post-Alex-and-Louie stuff- that's quite obvious, goddamit! It's a reunion of the original line-up and is natural they will play songs from this era... perhaps one post 1992 song as a surprise.
Chuck Billy should just be the new singer for Exodus, at least they have their shit together. I am so against the original lineup and having Louie back. And he says they won't play shit off the Gathering and Low?! Is he kidding, the Gathering is the definitive Testament album. I wish the band would stop dicking us around because it's not fair. Testament isn't even a band anymore, they play a few festival shows a year and that's it. There's no excuse for no new music in so long, especially after how incredible The Gathering was. That interview doesn't sound like there's anything good in the future, guess we'll just have to look forward to more bootleg videos, the only new shit they can release.
Whatever, dude. Really
I only agree Chuck should consider the reactivation of Suicide Shift now that Eric's busy with Dragonlord and much time will pass before we get the new TestAment- to keep his voice going and deliver some new music to his fans.

His lack of enthusiasm for Testament would be understandable if Dragonlord were a decent project to begin with. Dump the cheese-boards and hokey imagery, and work up from the solid musicianship and vocals. Not that it's going to happen or anything.

The gathering and low are their best records ever i really don´t hope the old lineup will play on the next album,sure they rocked in the old days , but nothing compared to Low and especially the Gathering.I was under the impression that the new album almost was recorded, this doesn´t seem to be the case after reading this interview. Get James, Steve and Paul to play on the next album anything else will be disapointing.

I agree with metalizer and SlayerNPG. Allthough the old stuff is great, I think that Low and The Gathering are masterpieces. It would be awsome, if the new album followed that style (if Testament will make a new album at all, which I strongly hope they will).

What's up with the sound on the new DVD???

well as long as alex is on the next record...
and bring back the double rhythm guitars like on SOB- not jusy eric playing riffs and alex doing solos like FSSD. have BOTH doing rhythm tracks.

very disappointing about testament. you are right they are not even really a band anymore and the next album hasn't even been written yet. sounds like eric is not so bothered.
i guess this is what happens when bands lose a big chunk of their fanbase and have no money/record label behind them like they had in the old days.

shame!

Sure, six years has passed since The Gathering, but have you forgot that Chuck got diagnosed with cancer? That is a few years off in my opinion.
On the other hand, I must admit that I got a little disappointed reading the interview w/ Eric only to find out that priority No. 1 is a reunion tour and possibly also Dragonlord. Whats up with that?
And as much as I love the first five albums, I wouldn't like to bring back Louie and Greg (Alex is an exception) on a permanent basis. Not because of their musical skills (to those of you who claim Louie is a bad drummer..), only because they were a part early Testament, and that they quit for a reason in the early 90's, and why should it be any different now than 13 years ago?
Am I wrong?

My gut feeling tells me that only Alex Skolnick will stay to record the new album and Chuck and Eric will keep Steve DiGiorgio and Paul Bostaph. I mean it wasn't that long ago when Greg Christian left the band so why would he suddenly rejoin. He has other projects and prior commitments to worry about. Plus Louie Clemente would be a complete joke. They brought him on stage at a show in New Jersey a few years ago to play Practice What You Preach and he totally screwed up. I don't think he will even be able to play at the reunion show. I mean if they want to play songs like Over The Wall how will he do it? When they do the rehearsals in mid April we'll see what he's got. But it's almost for sure he won't be on the new album. Could you imagine this guy touring with the band and playing songs like Dog Faced Gods or DNR. I don't think so. Sorry Louie. Good luck on the reunion tour but we prefer Bostaph!!

:headbang:

only because they were a part early Testament, and that they quit for a reason in the early 90's, and why should it be any different now than 13 years ago?
Am I wrong?
Yes, you are wrong... or at least inconsequent. First, Greg didn't leave in the early 90's, he left in 1996 (4 years, 1 studio album, 1 live album and 1 EP after Alex and Louie). Second, how can you say you don't want Greg and Louie back, because they left the band long ago and at the same time point that this doesn't refer to Alex, when he left very short time after Louie and pretty long before Greggy?
I agree with the rest of your post, though. I've always respected these three guys, who were a part of the original line up and a huge part of the band's success (all three of them). I also agree it's really depressing to see DragonLord become Eric's priority... I'm no one to judge him and it's his will, but I'm still pretty sure at least 10 times more people are eager to put their hands on the new TestAmenT record than on the new DragonLord. Still, he said they are releasing new stuff...and I hope to see some surprises with that..

hey if louie can play like he did it's no letdown, cmon you don't need super technicle drums using double bass mania 24/7
I for one thinks this sounds awsome although I doubt it will happen

I'm extremely glad that the guys put time on a reunion it'll be awesome!

Ok, Greg left later than both Alex and Louie, I sort of forgot about that. Sorry for my mistake.
And maybe I didn't made myself clear enough about Greg, Louie and Alex. That they left long time ago was not the main reason for my opinion. I simply compared Steve DiGiorgio and Paul Bostaph with Greg and Louie. And my thought was that I wouldn't see Steve and Paul to be replaced by Greg and Louie.
And why I didn't include Alex is that the band currently don't have a lead guitarist and that most people would like to see him back in the band.