ESP vs. Jackson

I've only played import Jacksons, and the ones I've played felt nice and solid, with a fast neck, but lacked anything that made me say "WHOA." Maybe USA Jacksons are better, but I've heard plenty of people on this forum say that they can't tell the difference between the import model and USA model in terms of playability and sound.

The ESPs I've played here in the states have had horribly high action and too much fake-abalone-bling-bling on them, not to mention extra-jumbo frets that I dislike. The ESP Japan custom shop has pumped out some awesome looking guitars, but I've never had the chance to play one, so I won't say any more about them.

If you're judging by the ownership of each company, ESP is Japanese Corporation, but Jackson is owned by Fender... I dislike both, although my loathing of Fender overshadows my dislike of large Japanese corporations.

For individual guitar though, I'd take a 24F Rhoads or an old 80's Jackson/Charvel over ESP anyday, so I guess my vote goes to Jackson.

I've owned dozens of guitars and have played dozens of different brands in varioius price ranges.

I own and play USA Jacksons exclusively.

Jackson = pwnage

The only reason why I don't play them exclusively like xeno here is that they don't have a production level seven string, and I don't have money to go to the custom shop....

arrrg

I pledge my shredding alliegance to ESP. Namely my LTD F400FM. The new 400 level axes = sheer excellence.

I prefer Jackson. I'd have V's from both companies. I definitly like Jackson better. The production is much better, it looks much better and the sound is quite different. the ESP sounded dead and lifeless really. It didnt play all that well either. My King V however sounded great.

ESP steals alot of their designs from Jackson anyway.

Both are good, both use alder bodies, maple necks and rosewood/ebony fretboards, but i like my jackson, and i might get an ESP sometime. . .but my custom will be a jackson

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Jackson, the second best guitar Ive ever played was a USA RR5, and number one is like 3 times the price, PRS Custom 24.
The RR5 is an import. Similar to a RR1, but with rosewood and no binding.

As for the LTD comment, LTDs aren't that great... wood selection is horrible, components are mid quality, and fretwork is anywhere from okay to horrible. Some of the Custom Japanese ESPs I've played were really nice, but at the price they charge, I could get a couple of USA Jacksons. No brainer there.

If I can pick and choose - Jackson. I like Gibsons a lot too, but I have not much experience with either Ibanez or ESP. I tried an LTD V (350?) last time I visited the music store, and it was pretty nice - except that the trem wouldn't hold the tuning and the pickups sucked - but with a little modification I'm sure it would kick ass. It had a nice solid feel and good workmanship.

Hi!
I think I can comment in this topic because I had pleasure of playing both brands... :)
As you may not know...I own Ibanez RG and Jackson Rhandy Rhodes guitars.
I had before an year,ESP LTD EX series...and my god was that guitar a major screw up...sound was very bad(passive HZ EMG pickups),awful finish... it was enough to barely touch it with your nail and you would make a scratch,edge strap pins were badly solved,during few gigs they tend to unscrew and fall away,but luckily,I've noticed at right moment that something is wrong...
Humbuckers mounting rings,tremolo and top lock were catching heavy cavity very soon(black hardware)...anyway...it was a nightmare.I often say and will repeat again that my old Yamaha Pacifica 120 was a way better guitar and 3-4 x times cheaper...
About Jackson...that's a thunder guitar.My RR works magnificent(powered by SD Jazz on neck and SD JB on bridge)...guitar has singing tone,it is durable and I can always depend on it...
So,considering my strict experience...
My bet goes on JACKSON! ;)

Cheers!

Can anyone tell me anything about the 'Edwards' series that ESP do - are those somewhere between ESP and LTD or something? I've only ever seen one for sale in the UK,...