EToS/North America

Hmm, right.. Damn this "yellow metal press", making a mountain out of a molehill. All I wanted was to say to our NA fans that it may take a while to get therre due to circumstances out of our control. And that small blog entry became something much bigger.. The same thing happened last week. I just wrote "don't worry, we're going to play a lot of live shows once we rehearse with our new guitarist - and by the way, we've already written some new material". And Blabbermouth woke up (as well as many other sites) with huge headlines "EToS already writing new material!". And I was like "What? Isn't that what a band is supposed to do - to write new songs?" Should we not write new material until "the official song writing era begins" for us? :)

But anyway, what I've written is true. In order to play gigs in North America, we need someone to release the album in North America first. There's no doubt about it. Bands do tours for promoting their albums, that's a sad fact. Besides, tour things and label things are usually damn complicated.

Anyway, there are a lot of things happening and going on behind the scenes. We've never been a band who talk about unfinished things, so we're trying to be patient and we hope all of you will be patient, too.. :)

Aye, they do tend to really make exaggerations with the headlines, either misquoting someone or, as you said, making a mountain out of a molehill, so to speak; regarding the new material thing, haha, yeah, I read that the other day and thought "they just released a new album ..." although, then, after I read the article, it was clear that you guys aren't in some kind of intensive writing mode with a schedule to record and so on - information and presentation often get butchered, it seems. The main goal of the blog's/website's purpose (at least with a page like Blabbermouth) is to gain visits/revenue and, of course, by making headlines that, well, make headlines, they're getting their agenda marked accordingly, whilst presenting information to the visitors, which more or less goes hand-in-hand - it's a fair trade-off, in some regards although, for the artists themselves, I think it is more of negative thing than for the fan or the blog, as the artist becomes the invisible middle-man getting tossed around between two fractions otherwise independent from them. Anyway, enough of that, haha!

Despite not having the albums domestically released in the US, there are plenty of websites around stocking all of the records, which is how I got my hands on everything EToS-related and, furthermore, a lot of independent record stores are able to import such titles as well (I used to work at one), in case one does not have the internet; live shows would be nice, sure, but that will indeed have to wait for another time, as aforementioned :)

a lot of independent record stores are able to import such titles as well (I used to work at one), in case one does not have the internet; live shows would be nice, sure, but that will indeed have to wait for another time, as aforementioned :)

Yup..

In order to arrange a tour, a band needs some sort of an organization to make it come true. The organization is usually an external company hired by the record label (or the band's management) and the external company will usually take their share of the profit.

It's also that the record company usually provides most of the financial support of the tour. They do this because if a band plays live shows, they'll get more fans and the record company sells more copies of the band's CDs.

But, I can tell you another story that has a good ending or a bad ending, or perhaps both. I remember reading an interview with a Finnish pop/rock band The Crash (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crash_(band)) who were signed to the same Finnish label we are signed to and who split up just some weeks ago.

They told to the magazine they were going to Latvia to be the headliner of a huge Latvian festival. They went to Latvia and all was great, it was their biggest festival ever and most of the people seemed to know most of their songs. All was fine so far.

After the show, a guy from their Latvian record company showed up and naturally, the band started talking to him. They asked him "how many copies of our CDs have been sold here?" and he answered "about two hundred"...!

So, it could be that the number of fans does not correlate with the number of CDs sold. Which means we could do festivals in North America as well. But tours, that's a different issue, you know..

Aye, unfortunately downloading definitely doesn't help that situation either; there are a lot of folks that, anymore, just download their albums through blogs and so on rather than purchasing a thing which, undoubtedly, has a huge negative effect on the artist, label, tour promoters, etc. - it's an unfortunate domino effect that, once again, really screws the artist as, in economic terms, the "value" of their art goes down because of the easy access the public has to it, despite the artist's wishes otherwise.

That is indeed interesting though, with The Crash; I mean, I'm sure some of the people in the audience already had their albums, thus not needing to buy more but, then again, there were probably a fair amount of folks there that have their discography digitally and illegally which, of course, doesn't help The Crash out much, outside of the strong audience presence at the festival.

Unfortunately in North America, there are not that many good festivals, however, once in a while there will be some odd pairings; there is one festival that tours here pretty much every year, called The Summer Slaughter Tour, and, this year, Ensiferum was on it, which was a total surprise to me since the tour always is focused around brutal death metal like Origin, Suffocation and a slew of new bands that have yet to make their mark so to speak but, I don't know, I was quite surprised to see them on there, haha. At any rate, the American market is very futile and amorphic, since people jump from one thing or another so quickly it becomes a rather sorry affair to observe thus, for bands that stick to their guns and don't pay attention to what's hip at the time, they often get left behind the dust of the trend-riders that die nearly as quick as they were conceived but, without a doubt, integrity goes far beyond such dismal circumstances.

Best of luck in getting a deal over in the States soon. I first heard your music on Last.fm and immediately had to buy what I could on amazon.com (MP3's only, though, sadly). I'm still one of those guys that prefers the physical disc so I can have all the art and lyrics and stuff, though, so I definitely hope it happens someday.

Us American fans are out there! :D

-D

^ you buy the album as an import. It's a bit more expense, but worth it. The newest album is the cheapest, about 20 bucks as an import on Amazon.

Agreed!

Mr. DustyP - I know that, a few years ago anyway, The End Records had the EToS albums stocked, all of which were the official Spinefarm releases and, furthermore, for domestic prices; granted, I don't know of their current stock situation, however, for a couple dollars more than a $10.00 MP3 album, you could have the real thing! :headbang:

The latest album is $16 and/or $18 @ The End Records, by the way. That's not so bad compared to the Finnish CD prices. You just can't get CotDW cheaper than $25 (17 €) here in Finland.

($16 = 11 €, $18 = 12,5 €)

The End Records is a good place to buy. Although, for bands I really like I usually just buy off their website, even though it is much more expensive.

And if you're the type that is afraid to use a credit card or buy online, music stores do have them. I bought my first EToS album (Chaotic Beauty) at HMV, which is a big chain in Canada about 7 or 8 years ago. They had it in stock when I was browsing through the metal section and I had heard a couple samples before and gave it a shot. A very good impulse buy.

And if they don't have it in stock just go up to the counter and they'll order it for you. It can take awhile. It took almost half a year before they finally got Sinner's Serenade for me. Then a few months later someone broke into my car and stole it. Luckily, the CD was in the player and they only got away with the empty case (although, I wish I still had the case, since it's not very common).

Wow just discovered ETOS was on ultimatemetal ! I've been here for 2 years and I remember you previously had your forum on your website !

Your music is just so great, I rememeber 3/4 years ago, I spent a whole summer listening almost exclusively to A Virgin and a Whore, and Prophetian is still one of my favourite songs ever !

I only finally got into this band with CotDW, and found Before the Bleeding Sun and Chaotic Beauty in the ProgPower vending room this year... I'd love to see you guys live sometime. I know some people around me actually said "great band!" when I requested your discs, so there ARE those who know you over here! It's honestly a mystery to me why you don't have backing over here, considering how the symphonic stuff has really taken off... someday, perhaps!