Europe Trip Summer 2011: How Can I Find Metal Shows to Plan My Trip?

gtwilliams

Jul 20, 2007
I am looking to go to France and Germany for 2 weeks in they May - July time frame and want to see some great metal. What are your best recommendations for finding the tours? It is laborious for me to look up each of my favorite artists' websites and find out if they are playing. I also don't know what cities I'm staying in yet because the shows may help dictate.

Thanks for the help!

I am looking to go to France and Germany for 2 weeks in they May - July time frame and want to see some great metal. What are your best recommendations for finding the tours? It is laborious for me to look up each of my favorite artists' websites and find out if they are playing. I also don't know what cities I'm staying in yet because the shows may help dictate.

Thanks for the help!

That period is largely festival season so no tours really! Alot of big fests in Germany during that time I do believe.

Germany
http://www.rockhardfestival.de/ (June)

http://www.de.metalfest.eu/index2.php?lang=en (May)

France:
http://www.hellfest.fr/ (June -- try to make this one, supposed to be one of the best for metal right now)

That Hellfest lineup is ace. Chock full of great metal bands and it has some of my favorite hardcore bands ever on the lineup. Envious of anyone who goes to that.

The idea of seeing Comeback Kid and Bolt Thrower in the same place just seems so awesome to me.

Trust???? :worship::worship: WTF? With Arkona, Firewind and a Mayhem Special Exclusive??? Maybe I can move my vacation time and go to France.:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Too bad they have Black Dahlia Murder on the bill, though. I'd rather drink Drano than have to listen to them.:puke: They are enough that if you are being intimate with your significant other, and they came on the iPod, it would be enough to make you celibate.:lol::lol::lol:

Try this one as well: http://www.allmetalfest.com/metal-festivals/

If you get the chance to experience a European festival, I would highly recommend it. Meet cool people, see tons of great music, and check out other countries and cultures. By starting up a conversation (and sharing a beer) with a complete stranger at Wacken in 2000, it started a very cool friendship. Almost every summer since then, we've met up at a festival in some country, including other people we've met from Norway, Australia, etc. Tons of fun memories over the last 12 or so years.

This year it's Hellfest in France, do some traveling, and then hit Sonisphere Switzerland - can't wait! Hope you have a killer time in Europe!

Thanks for all the help. Except to the person who suggested I google it.

No worries. That dude listens to Asia anyways. Not like he would've steered you in a cool direction or anything.

Too bad they have Black Dahlia Murder on the bill, though. I'd rather drink Drano than have to listen to them.:puke: They are enough that if you are being intimate with your significant other, and they came on the iPod, it would be enough to make you celibate.:lol::lol::lol:

sux to b u man. TBDM kills it live. Unhallowed was and still is my jam.

Yep. I've also been on stage with Iron Maiden (HCW 2008), seen and met Judas Priest in Japan, talked Born Again with Ian Gillan, did 2 ProgPowers, first Accept show with Mark Tornillo, 3 Fillmore Y&T shows and saw the first and last ever Heaven and Hell shows in Canada. Thats just in the last six years or so. Fucking coolest, name dropping, plane hopping, hotel staying, site seeing Asia fan I am aware of :kickass:

No worries. That dude listens to Asia anyways. Not like he would've steered you in a cool direction or anything.

I saw them at BB Kings in 2005. They destroyed a fantastic show as the number 2. Why? Here was the bill:

1) Behemoth - Nergal and company destroyed the place. We were bouncing around like lunatics to their antics. Behemoth put on a great fucking set.

3) Nile - Never heard of them until that night. Fell in love with "Sarcophagus" immediately after they played it. Crowd went nuts for entire set. Has been on the cusp of a "blind buy" for me for a while now.

Headliner) King Diamond - The King was sick the entire tour. Canceled Philly the night before. But, I still remember his shriek from that night ("Grandmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"). we were screaming with him. We even hijacked a song or two to help out his voice. His voice not great. But, man, he fucking slayed.

TBDM? Never have I seen a band that was so laughable. They looked like your little brother trying to look cool with the big boys. They were horrible. Their frontman look like a poseur. Their guitar work sounded like one long riff/ These jokers were begging, pleading, even demanding that people react to them. They did. By song three, 3/4 of the audience were on a smoke break upstrairs, and the rest stayed silent or gave TBDM the finger. They damaged an otherwise fantastic night.

TBDM? Never have I seen a band that was so laughable. They looked like your little brother trying to look cool with the big boys. They were horrible. Their frontman look like a poseur. Their guitar work sounded like one long riff/ These jokers were begging, pleading, even demanding that people react to them. They did. By song three, 3/4 of the audience were on a smoke break upstrairs, and the rest stayed silent or gave TBDM the finger. They damaged an otherwise fantastic night.

Haha, Trev is far from being a poser dude. He can out metal all of us on this board. I saw them open for Cannibal Corpse in like 2004 and they totally killed it. I then saw them headline BB's a few years back with 3IOB and both bands killed it hard as well. So much fun live.

Amon Amarth, Kamelot and Riverside are three bands that I know will play in May.

Every metal band plays at least a billion dates in Germany and the Netherlands when they tour Europe, so there is always something.

Haha, Trev is far from being a poser dude. He can out metal all of us on this board. I saw them open for Cannibal Corpse in like 2004 and they totally killed it. I then saw them headline BB's a few years back with 3IOB and both bands killed it hard as well. So much fun live.

Well, let's agree to disagree, OK? When I saw them, they sucked. To this day, that is why I avoid them.