European tour with Stratovarious = flop for SX

yesterday i was on their concert in Slovak Republic-Zilina, as i know they was first time in our country, and i just wanted to say ,. please don't go play as second band, i expected high quality, but we got very poor sound, and very quick scena, a few songs like some unknown amateur band, that need to go off asap ...:erk:i was very curios and hungry to see them, and got his shit...

i would never to go on their concert where they will be 2nd band
please don't do that, You are worth much more than #1st band:ill: on scene with best sound:erk:

I'm quite confused what the first post in this thread has to do with the Euro tour..& I'm sorry to hear that the sound at the Slovakian show wasn't up to par, but I wouldn't say the tour was a flop for SymX at any rate.

It was Strato's your anyway, SyX was the opening act.
But what the hell is going on? this is wierd

It was Strato's your anyway, SyX was the opening act.
But what the hell is going on? this is wierd.

I don't agree with the flop-part.

They played two shows here in Finland(Tampere&Helsinki) and the crowd(though much smaller than Strato's) was shouting and banging their heads(at least I did, didn't have time to look around). And I didn't find anything bad in their live-sound. They were definitely better than Strato that evening. Some people went to both shows and I was about to cry when I heard that they played Accolade/Accolade II in a row at Helsinki(I was at Tampere).
Well, I got their autographs for my Odyssey booklet.

They said that they'll come back for headlining gig(I'll be there, no matter what comes in my way) after summer.

It is a FACT that SX are having a CRAPPY sound in this tour. Same happened here, dunno why but drums, guitar and bass were terribly distorted and loud. Totally senseless. I am starting to think that this is people of the crew's fault or something. Dunno...

Lady - i'm confused too, what that post is doing here, i posted it and then i noticed it, i thought it's any
promo post from this board or what....:Smug:
Siro, same happened here in Slovakia and as i talked with other fans from Czech Republic,
they were in Germany and were also discontented with crappy sound like here, exactly
bass was distorted and louded , drums somewhere in background, and Romeo's guitar
in beginning parts disappeared i think it was left channel .. i expected sound like Dream Theater on gigs or
something like CD but not this...
to SX stuff, if you will come back sometime to near countries , we wanna see you as headliners ONLY and take a care about your sound,
because this is very bad reputation here, and i'm sure you can prove much much more ...
btw Siro where did You saw them ?

Lady - You know the SyX guys well, right? Can you ask them who did their sound when they did their mini US tour before going to Europe? I'm a musician who's spent lots of time in clubs the same size as the one they played in Cleveland, and I've heard bands with great sound and bands with crap sound. I have to say, SyX's sound that night was below par. The drums were dry and didn't even sound like they were in the PA. The bass was clanky and weak. The guitar was overly distorted (except the clean parts) and the backing vocals were almost non-existent. The sound man increased the volume on both Mike's solos about 3 to 4 seconds late every single time. It was as if he had no idea they were coming. I just found their sound to be very sub standard for a band of their caliber. I was expecting them to sound almost crystal clear, but it wasn't even close.

Anyway, I know well that opening acts usually get shitty sound, but this was their headlining tour. I think the guys really need to investigate the state of their sound crew to see where this trouble is coming from.

I truly believe that the exposure the guys got from touring with BG as well as Strato has been substantial, and I'm happy for them, as well as ANYONE who had the chance to experience a live performance, even for 45 minutes. This is a something special. They have been an opening act, and through the years and many, many concerts, I have seen that opening acts often get screwed when it comes to sound, possibly not intentional, but just the nature of the headlining act getting priority treatment. ???

Everybody wants them to headline a tour now, and I sure hope they have enough of fans that InsideOut Music can justify this for them. Then they can have their sound man dedicate his efforts to their songs and stage show. The sound was poor at Birch Hill, too. But we didn't hardly notice...it was just a thrill to be in the same room with them!!! When we saw them 9/9/01 at Obsessions in Jersey, they did a full show. We thought the sound was good, even though their sound man set the sound and left the board for 3/4 of their show. Go figure! Anyway, let's all hope for SymX to be past the opener phase now. This is Symphony X...they deserve the very best sound they can get, as well as everything else! SymX rules!

When you saw them at the Birch Hill, were they the headliner? Just a comparison, I saw Slayer at the Bich Hill years ago (and yes, I know, they were huge at the time and got lots of backing from their record company) and they had an absolutely perfect sound. It was loud, yet incredibly clear. 2 guitar players (of questionable talent) and you could hear them individually without any problem. I have to say I think it was the best sound job I've ever heard anywhere! Unfortunately, I'm not a real big fan so I left the show after about 5 songs. Ha ha.

However, the point is, that even with a limited budget and equipment, if SyX is headlining gigs they should have, at the very least, good sound. The sound I heard at the Agora in Cleveland was mediocre at best. I blame the soundman as he was late raising the volume on all of Romeo's and Pinella's leads, so I concluded he wasn't a very good sound man. I could have been wrong, as I'm sure it was a house PA system, but the sound should have been much better than it was.

Esanssi said:
I don't agree with the flop-part.

They played two shows here in Finland(Tampere&Helsinki) and the crowd(though much smaller than Strato's) was shouting and banging their heads(at least I did, didn't have time to look around). And I didn't find anything bad in their live-sound. They were definitely better than Strato that evening. Some people went to both shows and I was about to cry when I heard that they played Accolade/Accolade II in a row at Helsinki(I was at Tampere).

I was at that gig here in Tampere too and I agree, the sounds weren't that bad. But my friends, who went to Helsinki too, told me, that it was totally different there. They told me, that the sounds there were simply awful, but what do you expect from Kulttuuritalo..? I guess it's quite unusual to have metal bands playing there, it's mostly meant for classical music and concerts.

I went to the concert in nürnberg (21.4.)...all 3 Bands had a very good live-sound.
The Sound of the first band (thunderstone) was a bit muddy at first, but you still could hear all individual instruments.
SyX`s sound was very clear, awesome Drumsound, volume was ok.
Strato´s sound was even better, but the Volume was pretty high, too high...

I think the Sound mostly deepends on the architecture of the venue and on the used P.A.- system.

In nürnberg the venue wasn´t too big, about 1000 people....but the P.A. was very big (~40KW).

BTW: Strato has a very good soundman, named Jukka Wahlsten, and he has worked with them already about 8 years, I think...

SiRo said:
I saw them in Madrid - Spain. I was so jealous of Strato fans cos they get the bet live sound I've ever heard, too loud for my taste tho.

http://www.geocities.com/nick_lam777/siro1.html

Hey SIRo...that's great that you published your experience like that. Geocities threw a fit halfway through the page load, so I'll have to go back (after an hour, it says!) Anyway, just want to tell you that it was Pedro, the guy who started and designed the original symphonyx.com website before he passed it on to Deron of metalages.com in the USA last year who you met ! Pedro is one cool dude. Thanks for sharing all this with us.

Pharoah said:
Hey SIRo...that's great that you published your experience like that. Geocities threw a fit halfway through the page load, so I'll have to go back (after an hour, it says!) Anyway, just want to tell you that it was Pedro, the guy who started and designed the original symphonyx.com website before he passed it on to Deron of metalages.com in the USA last year who you met ! Pedro is one cool dude. Thanks for sharing all this with us.
what? who are you talking about?

nah, sorry to say but u're wrong. This Pedro dude is a spanish Stratovarius fan. he didn't even care for SX :)

SiRo said:
what? who are you talking about?

nah, sorry to say but u're wrong. This Pedro dude is a spanish Stratovarius fan. he didn't even care for SX :)

DUH...Oh, never mind. Not that Pedro. (sorry) o_O

Anyway...your story and photos are awesome.

scanner313 said:
Lady - You know the SyX guys well, right? Can you ask them who did their sound when they did their mini US tour before going to Europe? I'm a musician who's spent lots of time in clubs the same size as the one they played in Cleveland, and I've heard bands with great sound and bands with crap sound. I have to say, SyX's sound that night was below par. The drums were dry and didn't even sound like they were in the PA. The bass was clanky and weak. The guitar was overly distorted (except the clean parts) and the backing vocals were almost non-existent. The sound man increased the volume on both Mike's solos about 3 to 4 seconds late every single time. It was as if he had no idea they were coming. I just found their sound to be very sub standard for a band of their caliber. I was expecting them to sound almost crystal clear, but it wasn't even close.

I saw them on that mini tour in Chicago, and despite the fact that the keyboards were kinda buried under the mix, I thought the sound was awesome. And the show was at this dump of a bar that is notorious for having bad sound quality. What is going on???