Evanescence - Going Under cover (Mesa Roadster, Ampeg SVX, great singer)

XnaySaturo

Sep 7, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Hey guys!

I know this isn't generally the style that gets posted here, but I thought I'd give it a shot. I had a friend who wanted to record this song, so I figured it might be the occasion to try out my new toys (M-Audio interface, new AT2035 microphone and reamp box).

The guitars are done through my Mesa Roadster, and bass is DI going through Ampeg SVX. Damn, the strings were only a week old and it already sounds a lot more flubby. For drums, I tried to emulate the thrashy feel in the verses of the original song. It's some samples from Erkan's collection along with the Sneap snare and toms going through one of the presets in Guitar Rig 3.

I'm mostly looking for tips on how to improve how I mix vocals, but anything else is very welcome.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1648192/GoingUnder4.mp3

::Edit:: Oh, and here's a clip of how it sounded like with the X30 plugin before I reamped.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1648192/GoingUnder3.mp3

lol? ok where do i start.... drums are the most midi sounding drums i've heard (needs more humanise and i'd probably change the kick sample) everthing sounds so dry and boxy. for this style you need to track more guitars. I just feel that this mix is still in pre-production. The vocals are rather accurate in pitch but won't give me an ounce of emotion, this is not your fault.. The feel of the song is too sharp and not legato enough and it doesn't feel like everything is in the same room. I don't know what to say expect that you need to track more stuff in order to give this song the huge feel it as. Sounds like an amateur band playing live with cheap stuff. I hope I'm not being too harsh... The balance between the instruments is good, it seems you know what your doing, but the artistic part of the mix isn't where it should be in my opinion. And for the vocals, my only concern is the dryness of certain part. Good luck. I really hope i didn't hurt you or anything. by the way i'm from montreal too if you ever need help on some stuff we could keep in touch. cya

Guitars sound much better on the x30 version. The drums need some serious work. Make them stand out more with punch and mixing but make them more realistic at the same time. Her voice is great but compress the shite out of it...I think she's got feeling just needs to be brought out with the correct mixture of eq'ing, heavy compression, and reverb make her voice carry the song. Keep working on it and post

Sounds good, thanks for the tips!

I definatly need to work on mic'ing guitar cabs. I've rarely done it before. Her voice is pretty compressed already, but I guess I don't really have a reference as to what "compress the shit out of" is. I'll keep working and keep you guys posted.