Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Eve to Adam - Auburn Slip
Mikendra Records - 2001
By Rodrigo

/images/covers/evetoadam.jpg

I recently received a 3 song sampler of the New York based band Eve to Adam. I had no clue who these guys were and I was mildly excited to read that they are a band drawing comparisons to bands like Tool and A Perfect Circle. A little more reading into their bio, I found out that the Sassaris brothers, vocalist Taki and drummer Alex, also graduated from my alma mater the University of Miami. So knowing these couple of facts I was looking forward to hearing these songs and supporting some fellow ‘Canes.

After repeated listens, the first thing that really impressed me was the singing of Taki. He really has a great range and command of his voice. In the choruses, like in "Find Yourself Another, he employs a powerful soaring voice and in the verses he sings in a more relaxed, controlled, and similar fashion as Maynard James Keenan of Tool but not as rough. The bass work of AJ Pappas is also of note; he showcases very cool bass lines. The guitars of Gaurav Bali are chunky and distorted with some melody here and there. Finally, the drumming of Alex is good and not really flashy. He is good for what is asked for him to play.

The music of the 3 songs, "Red Door", "Find Yourself Another" and "Matador, is relatively simplistic. It is straightforward and not overly complex. It has shades of Tool but not enough to really draw a comparison to that band. The music is really more like some of the more popular mainstream rock bands; they are catchy and simple. There are some parts of the songs that make them interesting for a little bit. I like the instrumental middle part of "Red Door", the intro of "Find Yourself Another" and the bass work on "Matador". But these are not nearly enough to give me a favorable impression of Eve to Adam.

Thankfully this is not "nu-metal" but it is also not really impressive as a whole. Auburn Slip is an album for mainstream rock fans and that’s fine. If you like this sort of music then by all means get this album but this is probably an album that most other metal fans will avoid and that’s fine too.