circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
The Auburn System – The Auburn System EP
Five Point Records – FPR002 – March 30th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

RE_FPR002_TheAuburnSystem.jpg

When I say I like an EP, you can rest assured that it’s damn good. Because, more often than not, I’ll look for ways to shed an EP right after it’s been reviewed. Not so with The Auburn System’s The Auburn System EP – a slab of formidable metal that mixes styles such as death, grind, and various –cores.

If anything, The Auburn System EP is too short. The album houses five tracks and clocks in at eleven minutes, which left me aching for more material. What the band relays here, though, is well played and frenetic. “New Old One” adopts a frantic pace for all of fifteen seconds before it shifts and shifts and shifts. We receive a very solid rhythm at the 1:10 minute mark and – while The Auburn System don’t exactly utilize the stop/start technique – they might as well be because they switch from idea to idea quickly. The second track, “James Berardinelli is the Smartest Man on the Internet,” furthers the music heard previously. Porter’s growls are notable, as is Morrisson’s drumming. “Penny Brown” isn’t as panic-stricken as its brethren, and boasts strain-filled vocalizations courtesy of Porter, while “Better Than God” hearkens back to Cephalic Carnage during its commencement. Finally, “Old Man on the Mountain” – a remastered demo track – rolls around and can’t quite compete with its predecessors sound-wise due to poor production.

I’m impressed with The Auburn System EP; needless to say, I can’t wait to hear a full-length record from the quintet. Along with Genghis Tron, The Auburn System have released one of the best EP’s of 2005. If I had to choose only one EP from the aforementioned bands, though, I’d still choose both. They’re that good.

8/10

Official The Auburn System Website
Official Five Point Records Website

Sounds like "same old same old" to me...typical of so many anguished chaos-core bands flooding the market right now. :erk: