Evergrey in Budapest and Lyon, a comparison

dplax

Mar 5, 2005
Lyon, France
I was lucky enough of having my spring break while Evergrey were playing in Budapest, so I could see them while being home on holidays. (I study normally in Lyon)

A friend had bought me the tickets for the concert in Budapest, which was somewhere on the outskirts of town, in a place I had never heard of. The place turned out to be not as bad as I had initially thought, and after picking up a T-Shirt, and a beer me and my friend settled down in one of the chairs next to the bar to watch the opening act called Moon of Soul. I had never heard of the band before and to me they seemed to be an amateur band (although I might be wrong). They played some pretty complicated guitar themes, although at times it became repetitive and I think that the singer should have been rather singing than grunting/screaming (he did both and IMO was better at singing), but that is just my opinion.

After 20 minutes of the stage being rearranged Evergrey finally came on stage. They played the same setlist that I guess they played everywhere else during tour (when headlining), so I'll skip listing that again. The songs they chose were great, although I would have liked if they played Ambassador also. ;) There was a slightly comical event in the middle of the setlist when Tom lost one of his earplugs, but "bribing" (offering a beer to the one who found it) he managed to get it back.

At the beginning I felt that there were some sound problems, but they got resolved. The interaction with the small crowd (fewer than 200 people) was great. Altogether an awesome concert. Afterwards the bandmembers came out to talk and do signings. I had forgotten to take anything worth signing, so I asked them to sign a 200 HUF note (worth less than 1 €)

Fast forward to exactly a month later, Lyon, France, I'm back at university and Evergrey come to Lyon.

Again I hadn't heard of the two opening bands. Aquilon a french band, with a female and a male "death"-style vocalist opened and played a pretty enjoyable half hour of music. The next group Ellipsis had only a male singer, but I found them rather shallow, playing quite repetitive music. I also found that the singer didn't fit well into the music they played.

Before Evergrey came onto the stage one of the local organizers came on stage and told us that Evergrey were all ill, but had still decided to do the concert. Knowing this a huge ovation greeted them when they came on stage. At the beginning I felt a very slight raspyness to Tom's voice but he still sung out every note. The sound was better than what it had been in Budapest and there were about two times as many people.

The guy who was giving the guitars to the band members started filming the crowd three or four songs from the end. During the masterplan Tom seperated the crowd into two parts and made them "fight out" who could sing the chorus louder. Our side (Michael's side) won easily. :D

After the concert there were signings again, and when I had my concert ticket signed I prepared to leave, when me and the friend I had gone with got intercepted by a camera. We were asked of what we thought about the concert and I said great (trying to not put much strain on my tired vocal chords) then my friend said great so we were asked whether we could say anything else and I elaborated a bit, but anyways if the video ever gets out and there is a guy who keeps saying great there are chances it was me. :)

Oh and looking forward a lot to the DVD. :)

Thanks for sharing your two concerts. Kind of worries me that "Evergrey were all ill" tough, ;) Anyways, I'm glad they made a good concert :)

Faffy said:
Moon of Soul is not a good band... I was really disappointed to see them live.

Anyway, here you can find a lot of photos of that Evergrey show:
http://www.shockmagazin.hu - English section

enjoy!

After hearing five of their songs during the concert and downloading one from their site I am not going to make the judgment whether they are good or not.