Evergrey parts ways with bassist

Holy crap. Mike will definitely be missed, for a variety of reasons. That said, I can't wait to see what results from this parting of ways. I know we'll definitely be hearing good things from both sides! Best wishes to all involved...and I'm glad it was amicable.

General Zod said:
"My reason for doing this is that I feel a strong urge to do something different in music. This is the one and only reason and it's 100% my own decision."

So, essentially, the only reason he's leaving is he's no longer a fan of Evergrey's music? Interesting. There's been a lot of conversation about Monday Morning Apocalypse and just how much of a departure it was for Evergrey. It seems Mike views it as a significant departure, unless he's been contemplating this change for a while.

Zod

It may be that he's not a fan of playing Evergrey's music, not that he's no longer of fan of the music.

For some musicians, playing the same thing over and over just becomes unenjoyable, and they move on to new projects.

Blind Guardian is a band with very few lineup changes... they started in 1985, and had the same lineup until Thomen Stauch left. Though Hansi Kursch did stop playing bass before Nightfall In Middle-Earth and handed that task to Oliver Holzwarth. Still, Holzwarth remains listed as a "guest musician", even though he's been on every album and tour since 1997.

Also, Queensryche had no lineup changes from 1981 or so until DeGarmo left in 1998. That's a fairly long run with no lineup changes.

Damn, this brings a damper on my evening. We'll miss Michael and that trademark leather kilt. If he's going back into death-metal or a heavier direction, though, it should rock. The Forsaken are excellent.*

-=-=-=-=-
* sometimes known as "The Chosen," but only to Darkfriends

I thought they had a very stable line up with Michael. But oh well it is indeed just bass which shouldn't make a huge difference in who they get to replace him.

Cheiron said:
I'm trying to think of 70s/80s bands with stable lineups. Many of them had somebody come or go, guitarists changing all over, band starts up and ends within a few years, members die, etc.

It seems to happen in Metal a bit more than a lot of 'pop culture' bands though. And yeah, that probably has a lot to do with money/lifestyle.

There were some bands that broke up in the 70's that really sucked...
I cried when The Partridge Family broke up.
:rolleyes:

A band member here or there will probably not make a huge difference...for most people, it seems like the lead singer is the lynchpin of the band (The Cars being the poster child of this philosophy), but there are exceptions (Nightwish comes to mind--I belive replacing Tarja will be easy and the transition quick).

Best of luck to Mike, and to the band. Can't wait to see em in 7 weeks!

Troy the nomad said:
Until Freddies' death, Queen lasted about 20 years together. Maybe Aerosmith?

Rush.

Except for their first CD, they've been together with the same three guys for over 30 years (though releases have been sadly infrequent of late). Of course, only *having* three members decreases the likelihood of animosity, etc. :)

And if you don't count members dying (Steve Clark), Def Leppard's had the same lineup for over 20 years (since Pyromania, I believe).

Craig

General Zod said:
So, essentially, the only reason he's leaving is he's no longer a fan of Evergrey's music? Interesting.
Which, IMO, is no surprise at all, considering Monday Morning Apocalypse sucked so hard trying to be more "modern" and "commercial" even their bass player couldn't handle it.

Anyone else think Evergrey had already received a big blow when their drummer left?