Evoke - Dreaming The Reality

borninblood

Let The Metal Flow
Sep 5, 2006
Belfast
www.borninblood.co.uk
I picked this cd up at Virgin about 2 years ago now, knew nothing of the band or this album, but it was nice and cheap and I had vouchers!

It was probably the best thing I could have done with those vouchers because in this album, I found a gem.

From thier very first track (A weird guitar piece called "Intro" (Original!)) the album takes the listener through all 13 tracks with a flow, that is very rare in Death Metal albums.

The style of Death Metal on display in this album is actually pretty generic, there is nothing that ultimatly stands out as being overly inventive, but that doesn't matter when each song and the entire album just work so well. They have broken no bounderies but have maintained a high standard when most bands after say 1995 have let the standard slip (With a few notable exceptions of course)

A stand out track for me has to be track number 2 "The Sign Of Solitude". This track encapsulates within itself the essence of the entire album. The drumming especially on this track is not only excellent to headbang/mosh to but actually sets a good rythm, this is a rariety with Death Metal in general I find as many drummers just try to make the double kick go as fast and hard as possible, not so here, alot of work has gone into the writing and performance of songs.

All and all an excellent album, if you can find it, buy it. You will not be disapointed.