Cryptopsy - None So Vile

Opeth is not an example of a band whose songs flow logically, they're another throw it up and see if it sticks act, and, inevitably, the end result is incoherent crap. In that respect, just like Cryptopsy.

Planetary Eulogy said:
The original, off the cuff PE review of None So Vile:

Forged from the worst elements of NYDM via the diseased minds of the would-be-if-they-could-be French Canadian avant-garde and unleashed without thought or mercy upon an unsuspecting world, None So Vile is one of those records counted among the classics by those who enjoy migraines. Hideously dissonant and jarringly atonal, mixed raw and rusty (but with brain piercing treble spikes to ensure the onset of Excedrin Headache No. 666). The usual assortment of blindingly fast, grating tremolo riffs and "technical" blast and fill drumming over amorphous structures replete with sudden (and pointless) tempo and riff changes inserted (one must assume) to remind you that these are skilled players. The expected generic vomitvox rears its head. Occasional reversions to a simple, midpaced power chord chug serve (I guess) as "payoff" for sitting through the blasting (but really, who needs to wait for such "payoff" so long as From Beyond is still available?). Oh, and lots of slap bass. Assholes love slap bass. Apparently, assholes also love this band. Like Cryptopsy, assholes fucking suck.

--------------------------------

The problem with the album structurally isn't so much a lack of structure as a lack of coherence within the structural framework of the songs. Most of them sound like a series of riffs selected at random and then slapped together until a three to four minute "song" is constructed. Riff placement isn't logical, nor is it calculated for effect. For the most part, it seems that the band just changed riffs every 20 seconds because they felt it was expected.

You have good taste, Mornelithe.

I'm puzzled, how is my criticism of rockish structure relevant to my criticism of incoherent structure?

I'm tempted to believe that Demiurge = Planetary Eulogy. If not, Demiurge is just a bland copy of Planetary Eulogy. Come on, that "small review" you posted was merely a summary of PE's review. I agree with you when it comes to Opeth, but not on this here matter.

SculptedCold said:
...and it's exact sort we've read before by those identical to you....

....Cryptopsy - None So Vile. Technically proficient, compositionally nonexistent. But....the RIFFS man! The RIFFS!.

This man is a genius ^^

Great album, but I prefer Whisper Supremacy. Its about 10x insane.

As for the "tacking on random riff after random riff" comments, I can see where people can get that from. I couldn't get into Opeth (Morningrise) at first because of that.... some riffs flow easier, like on Blackwater Park, and its easier to get into that. But once you get used to it, eventually it will all come into focus. For example, after listening to Morningrise a lot, it got to a point where I knew what was coming next and thats what felt "right", as in I wanted it to happen. Something that you could hum in your head easily. Its hard to explain, but once things like that grow on you, the more "right" the riffs sound. They seemingly end up no more random than anything else.

Sunlapse Vertigo said:
Great album, but I prefer Whisper Supremacy. Its about 10x insane.

As for the "tacking on random riff after random riff" comments, I can see where people can get that from. I couldn't get into Opeth (Morningrise) at first because of that.... some riffs flow easier, like on Blackwater Park, and its easier to get into that. But once you get used to it, eventually it will all come into focus. For example, after listening to Morningrise a lot, it got to a point where I knew what was coming next and thats what felt "right", as in I wanted it to happen. Something that you could hum in your head easily. Its hard to explain, but once things like that grow on you, the more "right" the riffs sound. They seemingly end up no more random than anything else.
Once again, you echo my thoughts exactly.

Yeah, one of them is uptight, but cool.

The other is uptight, and uptight, and like 9 yrs. old, and uptight, and in need of attention, and...

henrikmain said:
I'm tempted to believe that Demiurge = Planetary Eulogy. If not, Demiurge is just a bland copy of Planetary Eulogy. Come on, that "small review" you posted was merely a summary of PE's review. I agree with you when it comes to Opeth, but not on this here matter.

This man is a genius ^^

Actually, I posted that review on a site before Falco posted his. Frankly, it's not relevant anyway. The prospect of 2 people on the internet having a very similar opinion of an album doesn't seem terribly improbable to me. Guardian of Darkness makes it 3....

Demiurge said:
Actually, I posted that review on a site before Falco posted his. Frankly, it's not relevant anyway. The prospect of 2 people on the internet having a very similar opinion of an album doesn't seem terribly improbable to me. Guardian of Darkness makes it 3....

OK, fair enough. Again, my apologies.

I'm beginning to wonder what music Demiurge and Planetary Eulogy like...

Either way, I think None So Vile is a very average album, the structure does get abit...random at times but the riffs are just plain insane. The production is really thin and harsh I much prefer newer Cryptopsy. Lord Worm's vocals are fucking disgusting in my opinion. Matt LaCroix and Mike DiSalvo are better. The drums on the album aren't as good as I hoped it would be, but it is still pretty insane. Flo does so much better on the other albums.

Martin is average, from what I could tell from the live cd, but I can't make a decision. DiSalvo was horrible, he isn't even a death metal vocalist. Lord Worm is so unique I am so glad he is back, can't wait to hear some new stuff from them.