Nile - Black Seeds of Vengeance

Hammer of Might

New Metal Member
Jul 25, 2003
London, England
*A review I've just done for the college website*
----------------------------------------------

I bought this album due to an internet recommendation, and I am very pleased with the purchase. I was aware of Nile's sound beforehand due to internet downloads, but this didn't prepare me for this, their second full-length studio album. Nile are an American death metal band who have a particular interest in ancient Egypt, and their music is very much focused on this theme. This makes a nice change from various other themes in death metal of religion and gore, and it's also very interesting to read the historical meaning behind each song in the CD booklet.

With this album Nile have really captured a great atmosphere, without sacrificing power or brutality - indeed, adding to it. Below I have summarised a few of the tracks...

Black Seeds of Vengeance – The title track of the album covers the theme of the ancient Egyptians getting revenge on their tormentors - the 'Amalachite' people. The lyrics fit the music, as they are very powerful. This track bursts straight into brutal action, following straight after an atmospheric intro (interestingly titled 'Invocation of the gate of Aat-Ankh-es-en-Amenti' - wow!). As in the whole album, the use of chant-like vocals and hyper-fast instrumentation coupled with what sound like traditional Egyptian instruments creates a very epic and...well...Egyptian atmosphere!

Chapter for Transforming into a Snake – Ingeniously, the lyrics for this song are a direct translation of an ancient Egyptian text, which was a spell required to transform into a snake in the next life. I really feel the subject matter adds great interest to this music in a way that others might not. This song roars into a frenzy of speedy brutality, while never sacrificing that element of epic power that I love about this album. It is laced with eerie guitar lines, an even these have an Egyptian feel to them. I also like the vocals a lot (not just on this track), as they sound like a god chanting over his people. Great stuff!

Nas Akhu Khan she en Asbiu – I was unsure which track to choose as a third one to analyse, but as I am currently listening to this one, I thought I might as well choose it - plus, it has a great name! The reason I found it hard to choose is that I only recently got this album, and there is simply so much to take in that I enjoy each track to a virtually equal extent. This perhaps reflects the depth of this album - it will take me may many more listens to take everything in. This track is quite atmospheric, with sections where the aggressive guitars and drums subside to make way for atmospheric chants or Egyptian instruments. When they do return though, it is with full power, and the lead guitar riffs are very enjoyable.

Overall then, a superb album, and one I am still finding my feet with. I am tempted to give it 5/5, but there's simply so much epic depth to this record that the rating isn't really important. It is an album to constantly explore and enjoy, and so whether it is a 4 or a 5, I am very, very pleased that I bought this album, due to the scale and epic atmosphere, not to mention the mad musicianship that Nile display here.

I now know what Howard Carter must have felt like, discovering an amazing collection of Egyptian art!

Superb.

Yes, I agree that in reflection I could have made a better selection of tracks to better represent this album.

As well as your suggestion, I would have liked to have done 'To Dream Of Ur', but never mind!

Thanks for your positive feedback!

:)

Reactions: Stormwatch
I got my girlfriend to order me this for Christmas, and after reading your review, I'm really looking forward to get it as I like death metal AND all things Egyptian. Sounds good.