Cannibal Corpse - Vile

Aug 26, 2002
Queensland, Australia
Visit site
Cannibal Corpse – Vile

Holy shit! What a better way to announce your arrival into a death metal band as a vocalist than by George ‘Corpsegrinder’ Fisher’s awesomely blood-curdling scream at the start of opener ‘Devoured By Vermin’.
With ‘Vile’ Cannibal Corpse introduced Corpsegrinder on vocals to replace Chris Barnes, finding a good replacement for him would be a difficult task, yet Corpsegrinder more than makes up for his absence, adding a new dimension of speed and technicality to the band’s playing as a result of Corpsegrinder being a faster screamer. This whole album is like a knife to the crotch area, as every song is brutal and insane, with songs like ‘Puncture Wound Massacre’, ‘Mummified In Barbed Wire’ and ‘Perverse Suffering’ being intense headbanging rages of metal \m/.
The Corpse decided to include an awesome instrumental track on this CD, ‘Relentless Beating’ is a fitting name for this song as it just gets more and more heavier with constant time changes and increases in brutality. A short while later your ears are given a rest for the brief, eerie sounding guitar solo at the beginning of ‘Eaten From Inside’ before being promptly raped into oblivion by one of the heaviest cuts on the album, ‘Orgasm Through Torture’,
One of my only complaints with this album as a whole, is that the lyrics are weaker than what Chris Barnes used to write, but measured up to the genius that is Barnes’ gore lyrics, a few songs such as ‘Puncture Wound Massacre’ and ‘Perverse Suffering’ are standouts.
This, along with ‘The Bleeding’ is one of my favourite Cannibal Corpse albums, and is recommended to anyone who loves brutal, traditional style death metal, or anyone wanting their head smashed in. :)
Jad Markland (Dirty Sandwich)

Originally posted by BTK
Yes... Corpsegrinder is much better than Chris...
Wow, never heard someone say that before. I like Corpsegrinder, but I thought Chris Barnes was better.

Vile is an awesome album, I have heard so many bad reviews of this album and I never understood why, awesome follow-up to the Bleeding.

Chris' deep growl is undesirable to me. There are quiet higher pitched parts in it, like he hasn't warmed up.

Corpsegrinder on the other hand is just pure rage.

Yes, I agree. If not pure rage, then at least style man! He really does know how to add dynamics to his vocals that add to the quality of the song. Dormant Bodies Bursting. mmmmmmMMMmmmm

I really don't like Vile that much. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the wrinkly grey phallus peeking-out on the front cover. :lol:

My fave CC albums in descending order are; Tomb Of The Mutilated, Gore Obsessed, Butchered At Birth, and The Bleeding.