__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Ewigkeit – Radio Ixtlan
Earache Records – MOSH282CD – 24th July 2004
By Russell Garwood

ewigkeit.jpg

You know when school reports say little so-and-so “is a real tryer”? The kid’s heart is in the right place, but the results are more hit and miss? The same could equally be applied to Ewigkeit. A (patronizing) disservice, perhaps, as some of the songs on Radio Ixtlan - the one man project’s fourth album - are really rather splendid. Despite this, the release can leave me with a feeling that not all tracks live up to the potential so clearly on display here.

The music is a mixture between space-rock and metal. Melody is often prevalent in the ebbing and flowing atmospheres, while just as strong – and effective – in the metal sections. These have distorted guitars, less prominent synths, programmed but fitting drums, and strong bass. The vocals vary between rough singing and semi-guttural death rasping, while samples - including tribal chants and plain speech - are also prominent. Keyboards are a major component of the music, with complete segments given over to atmospherics very reminiscent of space rock. When they are most effective, however, is when seamlessly melded into the metallic passages. This makes for a memorable and unusual mix, a successful bridge between the more traditional metal and ambient sections.

James Fogarty, the man behind the project, has a knack for writing unforgettable melodies, very reminiscent of other songs. While direct lifts from classical music (not to mention the Doctor Who theme), work well in a Spinal Tap-esque kind of a way, some lines can seem uncomfortably close to other better known tunes. The tracks are well written, however, and enjoyably eclectic. Greater cohesion and increased flow would lead to a truly unusual and notable project. As it is Ewigkeit's intentions are noble, and he pulls off his difficult mix with some success. Not the “Dark Side of the Moon for the death-metal generation” as it has been touted, this is nevertheless a solid effort, and shows much potential.

7/10

Official Ewigkeit website
Official Earache website

I really think this is one of the best albums of the year. "Space metal" should involve more than just SF lyrics, it should be a whole sound. And Ewigkeit has that sound in spades. A combo of Pink Floyd spaciness, the hammering intensity of Ministry and the heaviness of Sepultura, mixed with plenty of other influences, make this a great CD where every track has its own character. :worship:

BTW, I interviewed Mr. Fog at my website Wormwood Chronicles and he emerged as kind of an irascible, ironic fellow. Very interesting, just like Ewigkeit. :cool: