examples of spectacular bass playing?

Billy Sheehan - Addicted To That Rush - Mr. Big

Billy Sheehan - Shy Boy - TALAS/DLR/ETC

Martin Motnik - YYZ (Guitars by Mattias IA Eklundh)

Bryan Beller - just about anything from his solo cds to anything from his work with Mike Keneally. This guy is a monster!

Last edited by a moderator:
"That chick who plays with Jeff Beck" is INCREDIBLE! Her name is Tal Wilkenfeld.....(I think the spelling is close) :)
I'd love see her & Orianthi in the same band....(and not doing pop music):heh:

Clarification time!

There are lots of good suggestions here - but I can already make a list of most of the usual suspects that are known to be good bass players, what I'm hoping for is suggestions of what you consider the specific songs in which the most spectacular playing is on display.

And I will be, at least for this first round, avoiding death metal and sticking to things that are listener friendly. So, no Death, Atheist, etc - and even no Watchtower (sorry, Matt!) since I won't intentionally subject a novice to Tecchio's shrieking :) But I will include some non-metal stuff, so I like the idea of, say, Victor Wooten - but which song shows the most flair? I can try to listen to my Flecktones CDs (I don't have any of his solo stuff) to pick one out, but if someone has a specific suggestion, that's that kind of thing I'm after.

As an example, before I made this post, I had already selected Seventh Wonder's "Unbreakable" as one to include - gotta go with DTJEff and J-Man on that one (sorry Ben!).

The Hibria *is* new to me, so thanks for that one!

Ken

I'd also suggest

Ohm-Iguana (Robert Pagliari is a monster)

Cosmosquad-Three AM (Barry Sparks)

maybe some Swedes too

Marcel Jacob
Jonas Reingold
Jonas Hellborg
Jonas Brothers

Here's a some suggestions:

Esperanza Spaulding

Jeff Beck & Tal Wilkenfeld

Alice In Chains Nutshell Unplugged

I have always like the little bass ditty that Steve does on this song.

For the most over the top spin Zero Hour's Dark Deceiver. Woah!
Wow... how did this thread get 16 posts in before someone mentioned Troy? For me, discussions about Metal and bass players should begin with him. In addition to Troy, I would include Billy Sheehan, John Entwistle, Stu Ham, Les Claypool, Steve DiGiorgio and Doug Pinnick.

Clarification time!

There are lots of good suggestions here - but I can already make a list of most of the usual suspects that are known to be good bass players, what I'm hoping for is suggestions of what you consider the specific songs in which the most spectacular playing is on display

The track "Tendonitis" from Zero Hour's "Dark Deceiver" CD. It's only about 2 minutes long of pure bass madness, so won't take up much space, and what you hear was done in one take, IIRC...the first take.

listing all the phenomenal players would be impossible for me… I'll keep it simple, and try to avoid some of the obvious names (Wooten, Sheehan, Lee, Harris, ect. ect.)

Joe "Bones" Dibiase - Joe is by far the most underrated bassist I can think of, and is easily one of my biggest influences. His amazing prowess of playing in the pocket, syncopation and modulation with the drums is unfounded. Most progressive metal bassists give him a nod, but when it comes to mainstream rock and metal music, he is always at the bottom of the pile. Joe is a legend in my eyes.

Pete Perez - It goes without saying that anyone that can match Bobby Jarzombek's drumming patterns on bass is a master at their craft. Pete is one of those fine bassists that can do so with ease. I of course have a sentimental connection in having to VERY briefly feel his shoes, but even before that, I held Pete in the highest of accolades of bassists. The guys fingers are made from lighting bolts!

Doug Kyser -Most notable for his mathematical precision in Watchtower, he is easily known as a monster bass grinder. He is often imitated, but never to caliber of the original. I would pretty much sum him up as being the forefather of technical/math metal bass playing. Anyone who is into extreme, over-the-top technical metal or rock that has not heard him or even heard OF him for that matter, are doing themselves a disservice.

Ed Platt - again, one of the underdogs. Ed is one of the few bassists that can pretty much be placed in any type of musical situation, be it jazz, rock or metal, and blend in to his environment as if he was born of it. Ed knows how to play in the pocket and has a key sense of melody and precision - one of the few bassists who knows exactly what to play when the music calls for it, while still sounding fresh and amazing, complicated yet reserved all at once - a true paradox!

D.D. Verni - yes, I said it, D.D. Verni! Why? well, it's actually very simple… tone. Sure, he's not a master Bassist or crazy-insane shredder, however, he has a special place among bassists - he is in your face. His tone and presence in Overkill pretty much makes that band what it is. If you were to drop any other bassist and their tone into that band, it would ruin it. He would be considered and "octave" bassist by most, but I argue that even if that is the case, he is still one of the massive low-end masters by his tone alone. I have tried to find his tone for years and apply it within my musical setting… no luck. He is a true tone pioneer, 'nuff said.

Steve Digiorgio - He's probably been mentioned o' plenty by the time I've posted this, but I think there is one thing that everyone misses that Steve brings to the table… it's not just flash, technical abilit, chops or even status - no, it's much more than that, it's originality. Think about it, WHO other than Steve sounds like him? Oh sure, there are other metal bassists that apply, or have applied fretless bass to metal, however, he is the originator when it comes to playing fretless in extreme music. I'm such a fan boy, that my wife bought me a fretless years ago… I've used it twice in recording and once live - it's not for everyone, and trying to emulate Digiorgio was an epic fail on my part! Bow down to the master, He is the original Hippie of Doom!

Mike Porcaro - WAY underrated bassist. Sure, he's the bassist of Toto, but he is also a legend in his own right. This guy KNOWS how to play for the song and can apply himself like a chameleon. He'll change his tone, his style all for the song, and all on the same album. He plays with a pick, with his fingers, with his toes… the man is a walking, living, breathing icon in bass playing.

John Wetton - John holds a special place in my heart. Wetton in his early days was ambitious and a true pioneer of progressive playing and tone. In his latter years, he has reeled things back quite a bit, however, he is often overlooked as one of progressive music's most fantastic bassists, and is now even underrated as songwriter in his latter career. He is one of the few bassists that I hold in high accolades not only as a bassist, but as a well-rounded songwriter.

Troy Tipton - This fine gentlemen is no stranger here among the progpower fans, but deserves all props in the world. Troy is like a microcosm in the world of bass playing, he is often regarded as technical master of his craft, and can be seen in many o' bass mags, online webzine and advertisements, however he is still easily overlooked by most bass enthusiast and metal heads which is a crime. The best way to describe Troy as a bassist is summed up in one word: Hypnotic. Watching and listening to his precision and attack is so overwhelming and solid that it can put you in a trance-like state.

Troy Tipton - This fine gentlemen is no stranger here among the progpower fans, but deserves all props in the world. Troy is like a microcosm in the world of bass playing, he is often regarded as technical master of his craft, and can be seen in many o' bass mags, online webzine and advertisements, however he is still easily overlooked by most bass enthusiast and metal heads which is a crime.
I would agree with the first half of that last statement. I think he's probably overlooked by more traditional enthusiasts, because of his style. Traditional enthusiasts are going to gravitate towards players whose game is more about feel, than technicality, as the bass has never been perceived as a lead instrument.

I love me some Randy Coven (ARK)

I would also say Geddy Lee (Rush) with Stick it Out or Driven, Reingold with Universe, Chris Squire (Yes) with Roundabout or Heart of the Sunrise, Jefferey Hammond (Tull) with Bouree, Metropolis Pt1 and Dance of Eternity by Myung (DT) have good bass

How about some good ole Geezer Butler Black Sabbath (NIB?) or Jack Bruce Cream (Sunshine of your love)

PS

Hibria kicks ass

PPS

Valley of the Kings by Gamma Ray???

Just for fun listening (sorry to deviate a bit)

Oliver Holzwarth

Les Claypool (just a cover and rather short)