A song selection for playing on guitar...

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
I'm trying to find a song to learn for a very small recital to play on guitar. My teacher is either going to back me up with rythm or bass and vocals depending on the song. But the guitar should noticeably drive the song. I'm not a wonderful guitarist but I've learned most of the songs off the first Rush album for an idea of what I'm playing. If the lead is too hard... its okay I can jam over it and include the more memorable components of it. Mostly familiar with blues based soloing.

So looking for a song that focuses a bit on lead guitar, lead melodies, fills etc. I don't run arpeggios, I don't two finger tap, etc.

Right now I'm thinking of possibilities like

Nightingale's To The End

some various Rush song off their first 3-4 albums. (such as Something for Nothing)

Dio - Holy Diver

Badlands... (maybe High Wire?)

Some Black Sabbath song. (useful right?)

If you're mainly comfortable with the blues scale (and thus, a minor pentatonic scale), I might stick with Black Sabbath. Iron Man is a ubiquitous song, but the solo is fun as hell to play.

Iommi brings the riffs, and his solos are almost all done in some blues/pentatonic variant.

Acoustic or electric?

Acoustic:
Demons and Wizards - Fiddler On The Green
Tesla - Love Song, Signs
Skid Row - I Remember You
Into Eternity - Morose Seclusion
Dream Evil - Unbreakable Chain

Electric:
Steel Dragon - Stand Up And Shout
Dream Evil - The Book of Heavy Metal
Savatage - In The Hall of the Mountain King ( AAAH!!! )
Ozzy Osbourne - Mr. Tinkertrain

Dio - Holy Diver
QUOTE]

Love the old Dio idea. Holy Diver would be cool but watch the solo, Vivian is a monster. I learned a bunch of Dio back in the day because i love Vivian Campbell. Some of his solos are very challenging especially Last In Line...Good luck

Now, I know some of you may find my suggestion abit funny and odd for someone who love's metal as I do. But I recommend "The River" By Garth Brooks. It's a some what simple song that is very pretty and emotional.
Great song.

Or "Every Rose Has It's Thorn" by Poison. Which many claim is the greatest love song ever written.
This is kind of funny that it's known as that since really it's about a chick cheating on em and breaking up.