playing leads

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
I was just wondering if any of you guys have any advice for someone trying to learn leads. I'm mainly a rhythm guitarist, and I doubt that I'll ever shred in my band; however, fills are more my schtick. A good guitar fill here and there with a hint of shred or leads that moves the song along as a whole is better than listening to someone start the lead after the second chorus and end on a high note for every single song. Do you guys use any instructional videos, books, websites, etc. to help you, or have you used them in the past? Just reading tab isn't really doing anything. Could you recommend anything? I'm very patient, and I'm not one of those guys that can't play it right off at the same exact speed, I just quit...that's not me. I usually start very slowly and work my way up, no matter how long it takes. However, I feel that I need to take that next step in playing and start learning some leads. I'm sure theory would help alot, but then again, Chuck Schuldiner hated theory, so it's not the be all end all of playing leads. Thanks alot.

I would recomend concentrating on a few choice scales/Modes, Alternate your picking slowly, Then build up your speed as you feel more Comfortable with the Scale or mode. Then move up and down in that scale;) In time you'll be shredding:)

Try to play along to simple things, such as Iron maiden songs(just an example, they usually play in E-minor or A-minor). Play leads throughout the whole song, just to get those fingers moving. It will also tell you whether you play the "right " stuff or not:)

Can you record yourself playing along to something? Listening to what you did will also show where you did something cool, and "not so cool".

The metronome trick is also nice. I didn`t know about metronomes when I started playing, but playing along to other`s music(like maiden)is a nice way to learn how to play in time.

This is the way I started playing leads. I shamelessly ripped off where I was able, and just as shamelessly simplified where I had to;)

If you`d like to hear an example of my playing, try to go here:
home.online.no/artimages/D-sangen.mp3

Cheers,
Knut E

I've returned from a long absence... ah... it's good to be back.

Now, leads.
In my opinion, the LAST definition of a lead for me is a shred fest. That's a solo in my book (which isn't nessecarily THE book.... but it's mine nevertheless :p ) and solos have a time and a place.
A lead to me is a melody. Melody is a personal thing... it's natural. Good example being... Jesper, from In Flames... he's played in quite a few bands... and evertime I hear the guitar work.... I don't need the CD book to instantly tell that it's Jesper. His work in Hammerfall is a good example.

So, my advice is to feel out your natural melodies, over some rythm parts. It'll let you feel a great sense of freedom (and it's a little cheaper that way, haha)

But that's just me... I've never been a bookworm and I've never taken a lesson in my life. Chances are, if you play guitar... you have it in you to create a melody without much practice.

Toodles!

If you want a good book to develop the skills, check out "Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar" by Troy Stetina.(they carry it at amazon.com) That book and a metronome will give you years of practice on how to get your skills together.