Excellent new band to check out-- Gwynbleidd

zekeyou

Mar 3, 2004
The Triiiaaannnnggggle
Over the past year or so one of the members of Gwynbleidd has been posting samples of his band's work on the Braveboard, and most were interesting sounding. A few weeks back, the band finally released their debut EP (4 songs, but around 38 minutes in length:lol: ), which I immediately snatched up. It's broken into two 'eras'-- the first two songs being a bit older and being teasers of an upcoming full-lenght and 2 epic (well, ALL the songs on here are pretty epic) more experimental tracks. Strains of Opeth, Tiamat and dabs of Forefather are here-- a great blend of styles, calm, aggression, emotion-- well worth checking out further.

There are samples from each track on their myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/gwynbleidd

Also, one of the growlers/guitarists is the bassist for the quasi-death metal band Requiem Aeternam (which I believe was the starting point for Martin Lopez).

But easily my surprise of the year-- particularly the 3rd and 4th 'newer' tracks.

:headbang:

Not a whole lot of people seem to be digging this - or letting you know, anyway. So yeah, I did check out that band's profile and the excerpts sound pretty sweet. Definitely worthwhile getting a hold of that demo and it'll be interesting to see and hear how they further develop their style.
Thanks for sharing, Zekeyou.

Lionfrost said:
Not a whole lot of people seem to be digging this - or letting you know, anyway. So yeah, I did check out that band's profile and the excerpts sound pretty sweet. Definitely worthwhile getting a hold of that demo and it'll be interesting to see and hear how they further develop their style.
Thanks for sharing, Zekeyou.

Yeah, I'm not too big a fan of the first song-- the second song is *solid*, but the third and forth 'different direction' tracks are what totally sold me on the release. Plus, as I listen to the entire thing more and more I am somewhat enjoying the first 2 songs.

The excerpts are also a bit tough as the songs are each about 10 minutes long and do a bit of good meandering, so the samples are only a partial tease.

I also checked them out, i'm pretty impressed. As a bonus i found another band in their top 8 by the name of 'When Day Descends' - they turned out rather nice too (they're from Tasmania of all places...).

Cheers for the heads-up on some good music :)

zekeyou said:
Sure-- I have some Hoegaarden, Xingu Black, and Eku Pils in my fridge. Along with the Tecate, Red Stripe, PBR and the ever-fashionable Miller Lite.

Holy crap, PBR? How can you drink that crap? I'm not much of a beer drinker, but I do drink occasionally in a social setting. The first (AND LAST) time I drank PBR, headaches, stomach aches and all kinds of ailments ensued. Plus it tastes like :puke:

:lol:

SeanNZ said:
I also checked them out, i'm pretty impressed. As a bonus i found another band in their top 8 by the name of 'When Day Descends' - they turned out rather nice too (they're from Tasmania of all places...).

Cheers for the heads-up on some good music :)

When Day Descends is an excellent instrumental progressive metal band! I have bought their album and go back to it every now and then. I've had the pleasure of chatting with Dave Caswell over at the Opeth forum way before his project was where it is now. Highly recommended, you should pick up the disc if you like the samples.

m.

Sfarog, I was meaning to ask you - how about that Gwynbleidd theme signature of yours? What's the connection? With your location and initial and all... </PImode>
Anyway, as mentioned before: nice work.

Lionfrost said:
Sfarog, I was meaning to ask you - how about that Gwynbleidd theme signature of yours? What's the connection? With your location and initial and all... </PImode>
Anyway, as mentioned before: nice work.

I guess its easy to state that I'm a Gwynbleidd enthusiast eh? :)
one of the very few

Sfarog said:
When Day Descends is an excellent instrumental progressive metal band! I have bought their album and go back to it every now and then. I've had the pleasure of chatting with Dave Caswell over at the Opeth forum way before his project was where it is now. Highly recommended, you should pick up the disc if you like the samples.

m.

Here's a review of "Transcend" that I wrote:

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=208449

At the bottom of the review there's a link to the Unsigned Spotlight I conducted with When Day Descends as well. Good stuff, and Dave's a good guy!