Exotic scales (arabic or persian)

Dead Winter

STAHP
Apr 30, 2002
Italy/US
Could someone post some exotic scales such as Turkish, Persian, or Arabic you may use? No Youtube, though...I want to see this shit written down.

The Arabian music system has tones you can't hit in the 12 tone system. You won't be able to use these scales on a guitar (assuming that's what you want to use them for) but you can do it on any fretless instrument.

I don't know about Turkish and Persian though.

The Arabian music system has tones you can't hit in the 12 tone system. You won't be able to use these scales on a guitar (assuming that's what you want to use them for) but you can do it on any fretless instrument.

I don't know about Turkish and Persian though.

I forgot fretless guitars didn't exist. >_>

I also suppose the unusual scales don't fit into 12 tone system. so one may have difficulties with fretted or keyboard instruments when trying to play that.
I learnt a lot on this theme, though and there's a program that allows to listen to such scales on PC. you may find free download of it here (it's a way limited, but not seriously - so you may use all features in free version too):

http://www.robertinventor.com/software/tunesmithy/fts_download2.htm

the program allows building random scales. absolutely random, they're based on fractals, it's a deep theory, I won't explain it here. among many other features it has a lot of examples supplied with it a half os which are scales like arabic, indian ragas, etc. it has quite frendly interface, imho and very useful for exploring new scales. btw, for keyboards it can generate new sample sets for midi. I didn't use the feature, but I read about it and figure it could be useful for thouse who use keys connected to PC or keyboards with loadable presets.

I've got the Persian scales in one of my books, so don't worry. I highly recommend getting The Guitar Grimoire if you don't already have it.

Also, E Phrygian Dominant is basically what I was looking for. Something middle-eastern sounding...

I asked my guitar master today about it and he explained it to me.

The harmonic dominant (or Phrygian dominant) will both work extremely well for your arabic stuff, though you've already discovered that it seems. Any scale that starts on a major chord and moved a semi-tone up to another major chord will have that distinct flair.

I'm a huge harmonic dominant fan, myself. It's works well as both a neoclassical and ethnic sound, and all you do is change the note you center yourself on. Pretty wicked.